USCG blue E3 badges

busternfo

busternfo

I acquired several examples of this style E3 badge that were described as US Navy,  but look to me to be the distinctive USCG blue, not US Navy black.  And, they all have the 30 degree stripe, not the more common newer 45 degree.  If these are USCG I assume they would be worn on the CPO style jacket which I think all enlisted USCG wear?  Are these indeed USCG and did the Navy ever use this color of cloth for any of their rates?  Thanks for any insight on this.

Electronics Tech. E3 blue ebay 3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
TheCrustyBosun

Definitely USCG.  Most likely worn by an E-3 who completed A-school, but did not yet have the time in grade to advance to E-4 upon graduation.  I do not recall Electronics Technician ever being a striker rate. 

• 1 year later...

To The Crusty Bosun, and anyone else on this topic,

I just noticed your closing comment re. ET ever being a striker rate.  Is there some list or other criteria that would include the ratings that were striker rates?  When did striker rates cease to be used?  Thanks,

Dennie

TheCrustyBosun

Most likely not a striker in this case, just that he or she graduated A-school prior to having the time in grade to advance to E-4. This would make the individual a rated seaman. E-3 and below in the USCG are referred to as non-rates. 

I remember the striker rates being BM, MK, DC, and GM. I may be wrong. It’s been 23 years since I was a striker BM myself. 

The rates that you couldn’t strike were typically rates that were “technical”, like ET, EM, and the aviation rates as well as food service, YN, and SK. GM and MK are definitely “technical” now. BM and DC may be the only ones left. BM might even be a stretch to strike. In 2004, they merged the BM and QM rates. I was grandfathered but had to learn the QM stuff on the fly. I looked into returning to the CG reserves at one point and they told me I’d have to attend BM A-school because I had originally struck BM prior to the rate merger. 

• 1 month later...