V serif vs. non-serif

collector

• 5 weeks later...

Wikipedia:

On 22 December 1945, in War Department Circular 383, the United States Army decided to introduce the "V" device to distinguish the award of a Bronze Star Medal for acts of valor and heroism rather than meritorious service.[10] Soldiers, including Army airmen, who were awarded the Bronze Star Medal for heroism in combat were now authorized to wear a bronze "V" on the suspension and service ribbon of the medal. Only one "V" was allowed to be worn on a ribbon. The Department of the Navy introduced the "V" as the "Combat Distinguishing Device", and on 15 February 1946, authorized the "V" device to be worn on the Legion of Merit and Bronze Star Medal for services or acts performed in actual combat with the enemy; in February 1947, this was changed to acts or services involving direct participation in combat operations.

Still does not say anything about serif vs. non-serif.

I feel embarrassed in that I think I knew the date at one time but I can't remember off the top of my head.

I did look back at my photos and I have posthumous Army BSM groups from 1951 that have the serif-model "V". 

My assumption is that the Marines and Navy probably switched about the same time as the Army, so sometime prior to 1951. 

My gut seems to tell me that it was 1948 that they switched from non-serif to serif, but I have been able to find no hard data to back that up. 

Also, from your photos above, the more rounded serif "V" came into use after Vietnam. Looking through my photos, the "V" in gold with sharp angles was used on officially-issued government awarded posthumous medals at least through 1971.

Dave,

Thanks for the response, both V's were on my father's ribbon bars, occasionally he would wear just the SS,BS,PH (see pic 1957) with the non-serif V. That V was from one of his older bars after the switch from the half inch ones, but he had both V versions by 1957. The serif version is newer, but he died in 1964, so both V's are pre Vietnam. He did spend a year or so in Vietnam/SE Asia in 1960 but had the ribbon bars before that.

And just to make things more interesting, I've included a shot of the V on his full-size medal.

Ditta8thMarinesTraex1957_3.jpg

DittaRibbonsLateFront_DD_C6519.jpg

IMG_1170.JPG

Interesting! Sadly, much of the paperwork about the devices was discarded ages ago and never made it to the National Archives. It would have been interesting to see when manufacturers changed over to new designs, as each design required approval. 

Yes, it is interesting! The small stuff is fun to try and puzzle out, and sometimes more difficult.

Thanks for your input.