ATC and TWA Display Kansas City, 2009-2011

gwb123

For those who have attended past ASMIC conventions and local shows at the KCI Expo Center in Kansas City in the past, there was an extra bonus feature in the hall.

BB 2.jpg

Kansas City was a hub for the legendary Trans World Airlines, TWA.

In the exhibit hall, eventually moved to the cafeteria was a modest display devoted to the history of the company.

Taking a break from the show, you could enjoy your pulled pork sandwich and look through the exhibit at the same time.

BB 1.jpg

It wasn't a huge exhibit, but it was crammed full of memorabilia.

The photo and wing are from the first class of TWA hostesses from 1935.

bb 5.jpg

BB 30.jpg

In the center of the showcase is the uniform of an ATC pilot, still adorned with his wing, sleeve rank and buttons.

BB 9.jpg

An explanation of how TWA and Pan Am became involved with the ATC to support the war effort with their large capacity aircraft.

BB 18.jpg

Also of interest to military history buffs was this Link Trainer in the corner of the room.

BB 20.jpg

This was apparently the 1938 version of the "hostess" uniform, and I would guess at least similar to what may have been worn during the war years.

The aircraft in the background is either a DC-2 or DC-3, related to it's military counterpart the C-47.

There is a similar image that has a Stratoliner in the background.

http://twamuseumguides.blogspot.com/2017/02/presenting-case-for-twas-attendants-our.html

BB 35.jpg

As you can see through the link in the last post, the exhibits were moved some time ago from the KCI Expo Center to the:

TWA Museum
10 Richards Road, Suite 110
Kansas City, MO. USA 64116

I have yet to get there myself to see if the ATC items are still in their display.  Perhaps someone who has gone can confirm that.

I hope you enjoyed seeing these items.