Yet Another Striped Helmet

RonnieBigR800

RonnieBigR800

Here we go again, guys...

This here is a lid I purchased from an elderly couple located in the Scranton, Pennsylvania area a few weeks ago. They had a small home antique shop and found the lid at a Scranton estate sale. The shell is a fixed bail McCord with the lot number 595E and a beautiful factory early-mid war light paint. What makes this guy special however is the return of that white stripe. On the unpainted Firestone liner, there is a green circle with a master sergeant symbol. A long white stripe goes from the symbol to the back on the liner. Of all examples I've seen with a stripe, I've never seen it on a bare liner, nor with the rank in a circle. The liner features a completely untouched 1943 set up; all green a washers, mid-war sweatband and a green buckle liner strap. The shell's hardware consists of an earlier brass raised-buckle and J hook. 

When taking notice to the liner, a few unusual symbols popped up. The interior if the liner has the codes: E-1, A2, M3, Ct, G-1, F-1 and the name Boyer carved into it. A remaining laundry number is also painted into the liner's webbing. 

**I will post all pictures separately because the files are too big**

I've read the Omaha beach sectors were labeled D-1, D-3, E-1, E-3 and F-1 so maybe they have some ordinance. There also appeared to be something previously painted underneath the master sergeant circle, so maybe a 29th ID symbol? I know from visiting Gettysburg there were an enormous amount of Pennsylvania men assigned to the 29th Infantry division. Not sure what to say about the helmet other than it certainly has a ton of character. 

IMG_0825.JPG

RonnieBigR800
18 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Are they from Duryea?

Ed Wynn? 

They're about 40 minutes from Duryea. Towards Elk Mountain.