NICARAGUAN MEDAL OF MERIT TO MARINE AVIATOR

bobgee

The U.S. Marine Corps had a significant presence in Nicaragua starting in 1912. Marines continued to serve there into the 1940s with large numbers in garrison and in various combat actions in the 1920s & 1930s.

Often a group of medals of a Marine will turn up containing a decoration awarded them by the Nicaraguan government. This is one such group. In most cases that I have seen the circumstances behind the award have been lost to history. In this case we know exactly why First Lieutenant Horace D. Palmer received his medal as we have the original diploma signed by President Moncada in 1932. We also have the English translation. 

Lt. Palmer entered the USMC in 1918 from Ohio to train as an aviator. He had held a commission as an infantry officer in the Ohio National Guard. He did not complete flight training training until 1919 and became Naval Aviator 2864. He stayed in the Corps and was soon assigned to flying duties in Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

In 1923 he participated in a long-distance endurance flight which became the longest flight in U.S. aviation history and the second longest flight to date in world aviation history. He and a companion pilot and two mechanics flew two DH-4B bi-planes from Haiti to San Francisco and back to Haiti which took two and a half months and covered 10,953 miles with actual flying time of 127 hours, 15 minutes,.

Lt Palmer eventually was assigned to Quantico where captained the Marine Corps football team for several seasons, He had been a stand-out player at the University of Ohio,

He was reassigned to Nicaragua in 1930 and commanded a squadron there and was cited by the government particularly for his work during the earthquake in Managua in 1931.

"Hoke" Palmer, as he was known, retired from the Marine Corps in 1936 as a First Lt. During his 18 years in the Corps he flew 61 different aircraft and models logging 3,162 hours as a pilot. He died in Ohio in 1972.

He received the WWI Victory medal, the USMC Expeditionary medal and the Second Nicaraguan Campaign medal.

Semper Fi ! Bobgee

post-88013-0-07726100-1456030722.jpg

Early_Marine_Aviator.jpg

MEDALS - 1.JPG

20200504_222346.jpg

20200504_222458.jpg

20200504_222606.jpg

KASTAUFFER

Bob, you always post interesting groups. This is no exception.

Kurt

Nice Group Bob - I have a later group to Frank D. Weir but yours has the earlier medals - What is the number on the Expeditionary for the "List"

Thanks

Bill

4 hours ago, USMCR79 said:

Nice Group Bob - I have a later group to Frank D. Weir but yours has the earlier medals - What is the number on the Expeditionary for the "List"

Thanks

Bill

He's already on the List. MNo. 7602

Thanks for the comments, guys. I've had this group awhile. Dug it out for a review. It's quite extensive with 100s of period photos. Here's pic of the group which includes some of his Ohio N.G. insignia. The wing, which is vintage 1920s/30s,  is not his unfortunately and is displayed to reflect his aviation service. Also here's closeup of the Medal of Merit. It is plain on the reverse with no HM. Bob

MEDALS - 3.JPG

20200503_230406.jpg

Here's a photo taken during the longest flight. Lt. 'Tex' Rogers on the left; Lt 'Hoke' Palmer on the right.

20200506_171314.jpg

An interesting footnote regarding "The Longest Flight" ln 1923. These Marine aviators had made a record flight in U.S. aviation. It brought great credit on the U.S.A. and the Marine Corps. It was the second longest flight in world-wide aviation history. However, when the Distinguished Flying Cross was instituted in 1927 and recognized many aviation achievements prior to its institution these aviators were overlooked. I have always wondered whether their flight was even considered. Seems to me they got screwed. My 2-cents! Bobgee

Kurt Barickman

Thanks Bob for a very informative thread on an obscure topic that is a mystery on those pre-war WWII  USMC veterans. I once owned the USMC officer tunic to Colonel Arthur when he was the commanding officer of the 2nd Marine Regiment on Guadalcanal with the 2nd Division SSI on it. Allan Henderson helped me find the very rare 1/2 inch Wolf Brown plastic Nicaraguan Medal of Merit to complete the rack. 

Kurt

• 2 years later...

Hoke Palmer was my great Uncle. He was married to my great aunt, Winnie Gibson Palmer, Captain, USN, MC, Retired.

They married in 1954 after she had retired as Navy Nurse Corp Director.

anyway, I have many of Hokes keepsake items including a scrapbook he kept while at Ohio University at Athens, Ohio.

1BCA5EB4-3520-4BB4-A050-0657EF070EE4.jpeg

B9CFDA8D-6002-430A-98B1-E6674AAC08BB.jpeg

087F9BD5-6102-4727-A1BF-40CFB7544B8C.jpeg