Vietnam Advisor Purples Jacket

horsa

bill brewster

This second is of the multi-multi piece variety. It belonged to an FAO who was attached to the 173rd in 1965. He received it from an ARVN and wore it on and off during operations.

post-5675-1254450320.jpg

Nice hats, thanks for sharing. Multi-pieces hat seem quite common in the beginning of the war when camo material was still scarce

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

I thought I would finally get around to posting photos of this uniform. This uniform is fully ID'd but I blurred out the name tape. This uniform has some very interesting modifications. You can also see that this uniform was used by several different advisors. The last owner directly embroidered his insignia after the previous owners had sewed it on. You can also see various tailor modifications including the lengthening of the pants with scrap material.

Regards,

Jason

Jason,

I am extremely interested in you have just the photos of this set of bullet proofs or if you have the actual uniform.

John

Jason,

First, incredible uniforms.

Regarding the date on the Rung Sat suit....Martin in his book Angels in Red Hats states that "Until 1969 the Co Vans wore their name tag on the left side of the fatigues and no US ARMY Tag." Do you have a date on your pieces to confirm what Martin says? In other words, does the last uniform date to after 1969 because it has both name and US Army tags? I always like to see how accurate the books are(or not).

When the Advisors of Team 162 started wearing the VN paratroopers uniform, we did put our names one the left side just like they did - hence we did not wear a US Army tag on the left and our name on the right. In late 1968 COL Dickson, the Senior Advisor of Team 162, decided we needed to have US Army on our uniforms, so this change was made in late 1968---- I don't remember exactly when, but I would guess Oct or Nov.

PS: Mike Martin is a good friend and he put out a terricf book, but there are a couple of very small errors in it.

John

• 2 months later...

To upgrade this topic, here is the mannequin set up after period LLDB picture with Pink Bullet proof Uniform. Thanks to stephen for the mannequin

ththan10.jpg

dsc_0110.jpg

dsc_0111.jpg

The pants are on his way to an advanced US camo collector via London, separating forever from the shirt :( , I hope to reunite them back in the future

I like the dummys neck .

It looks like one of my Action Mans !!!

owen

They are just action man in full scale for us, action man for kid, mannequin for adult

Looks kinda like Rhodesian camo.

Does anyone have a pic of Rhodesian camo as a comparison?

It has been quite awhile sine I have seen it,I may be totally wrong in seeing the similarities,but is the original post in this thread the basis for the Rhodesian's camo pattern?

I have seem some really,REALLY weird camo patterns worn in Africa ; Orange , bright Red , Pink ect. Got their camo advice from the French fashionista's I guess :lol2:

Cool pattern.

James .

It looks nothing like Rhodesian .

The format of Rhodesian has completely different colors and shapes .

Go to the WAF and see MY thread on Rhodesian Camouflage .

This pattern is a copy of British Windproof camouflage .

owen

• 4 weeks later...

How would a usaf advisor wearing this ensemble be distinguishable from an army advisor? I doubt that there would be any way of telling but thought I would ask.

Paul .

look at those trousers !!

They are comming to me via Paul Jumbos clown room Bishop .

owen

LOL so funny cuz its true!! GOOOO Jumbos!!!

loven those trousers, Im gonna sneak over to your house when your gone and snatch' em!!!

lol

paul

well you will have to take the whole set then !!!!

The first pair I had of these came from Mad Mike in Santa Monica for free 12 years ago !!!

owen

How would a usaf advisor wearing this ensemble be distinguishable from an army advisor? I doubt that there would be any way of telling but thought I would ask.

You will have to look on thecollar grades, the army advisor has BOS while USAF just wear their rank on both sides.