Vietnam Advisor Purples Jacket

horsa

From the original, can you make out his name, rank or whether he is Air Force vice Army?

Hello J,

the photo shows Mr.Michael.J.Morea who served with the ARVN Airborne Division as an FAC.

The photo shows him in front of the offices of the ALO/FAC section at Tan Son Nhut. The pockmarks and broken glass are from a motar attack the preceeding night.

Mr.Morea was USAF.

There are transcripts of interviews and audio recordings of these interviews along with more slides donated to the University of Texas by Mr.Morea as part of their archiving activities.

Patrick.

Now I have just talked to Paul Marildi and got him to pull a photo we took a number od years ago .

These shots are from trhe back of 2 different shirts I had in my collection .

They show the Windproof pattern .

!st pattern

2nd pattern .

The same camouflage is shown .

You will be surprised to see how the camouflage flows .

enjoy

owen

Hello,

I thought I would finally get around to posting photos of this uniform. This uniform is fully ID'd but I blurred out the name tape. This uniform has some very interesting modifications. You can also see that this uniform was used by several different advisors. The last owner directly embroidered his insignia after the previous owners had sewed it on. You can also see various tailor modifications including the lengthening of the pants with scrap material.

Regards,

Jason

post-1616-1232769966.jpg

Hello,

Here is another of this pattern. This jumpsuit is also named to a different advisor. This vet served in the Rung Sat Special Zone.

Regards,

Jason

post-1616-1232770464.jpg

Hello,

Here is another of this pattern. This jumpsuit is also named to a different advisor. This vet served in the Rung Sat Special Zone.

Regards,

Jason

Jason,

First, incredible uniforms.

Regarding the date on the Rung Sat suit....Martin in his book Angels in Red Hats states that "Until 1969 the Co Vans wore their name tag on the left side of the fatigues and no US ARMY Tag." Do you have a date on your pieces to confirm what Martin says? In other words, does the last uniform date to after 1969 because it has both name and US Army tags? I always like to see how accurate the books are(or not).

Jason,

First, incredible uniforms.

Regarding the date on the Rung Sat suit....Martin in his book Angels in Red Hats states that "Until 1969 the Co Vans wore their name tag on the left side of the fatigues and no US ARMY Tag." Do you have a date on your pieces to confirm what Martin says? In other words, does the last uniform date to after 1969 because it has both name and US Army tags? I always like to see how accurate the books are(or not).

Hey Jason,

first off thats an Incredible and amazing uniform my friend!!!!

Yes Mike's book is probably the best when it comes to Advisors, that and his book on the ARVN Ranger are both incredible. Ive known Mike for many years and he spent alot of time talking with the vets. Ive only seen a few post 1969 uniforms, usually in ERDL or ARVN Ranger that had both the US ARMY and Name on them, but like Mikes states in his book, some Co Vans did things one way while others did just the opposite. really depended on what brigade they were attached to.

also you'll see only one Brigade square patch worn on the shoulder loop, never in sets oddly enough.

Also Mike said that the Co vans called the pattern Bullet-proofs because it made them feel like they were bullet proof, also Ive heard it called "Onion-Skins" too.

Hope this helps,

hey owen Nice pix!!!

P

Here is a picture of the uniform worn by 1st Lt William T. Pelletier who was assistant advisor to the 8th Airborne Battalion from Nov 70 to July 1971.

Note that the name is on the left with no US Army tape.

040f_1-1.jpg

And just to confuse the issue here is a pic of him (on the right) in Vietnam.

Note the name is on the right and there is a US Army on the left.

f39e_1-1.jpg

Hi all,

those uniforms posted by Jason are the ones i mentioned in an earlier posting, i thnk they are amongst the finest advisor uniforms i have ever had the pleasure to see.

Unique and outstanding.

Thanks for posting them Jason.

I used to own the Pelletier shirt, as did Jason before me. I am desperate to get it back to reunite it with another section of the veterans estate.

I will try to start a thread on his other items this weekend.

Patrick.

Hi Jason,

Was your flight suite made in one piece or it s a set of uniform that a tailor sewn together ? Pockets style make me think that it was made from a shirt and pants.

Thanks

Hello,

Regards,

Jason