Vietnam Advisor Purples Jacket

horsa

With the 1st pattern print you will see contract dates begining in 62 .

These trousers being 63 .

By 64 the 2nd strike of the Windproof begins to appear .

The first print seems to fall by the wayside in favour of the more simple and less time comsuming 2nd pattern .

This 1st material has a luster which shows the top quality South Asian fabric used in the conscruction of this basic military uniform .

A true gem for the collector indeed .

owen

kammoman

ps

on a quick collecting note , shirts in this pattern show up about 10 to 1 trouser

post-2009-1231961363.jpg

Hi mates !

Could we post french "peau de saucisson" uniforms ? I mean 10th Division Parachutiste bigeard hat and Ike jackets, retailored trousers, etc, etc... whistling.gif

A.

1. I would like to cast a vote in favor of loosening the restriction on FOREIGN items of gear. It seems that sutrely a lot of them were in fact WORN or USED by US troops, even if only rarely and without official support. Like Australian boots and raincoats in RVN, or Brit Denison smocks in the ETO, or Brit bush jackets in the CB|I, or Brit flight gear. I think that such topics should be allowed WHEN THEY RELATE TO U.S. ITEMS OF SIMILAR NATURE and/or "shared their DNA" with U.S. items. It think this has been the case here, so it has been The Exception to The Rule.

2. In 1970 I ran into a SSG from MACV 162 (at the PX barber shop in Tan Son Nhut) who was wearing the "pinks" (and his were definitely pink, not purple). I was not totally unfamiliar with the uniform, but was amazed that it was being worn so late. He stated that he got his when in-processing in 1969 and that they were still available to any Team member who wanted to pay for them. Many Team members had them, but saved them for "special occasions" -- he was on his way to an ARVN promotion ceremony/party -- and rarely wore them in the field. His shirt had the shoulder straps and shoulder reinforcements, PLUS later-style zippers on the the inboard edges of the chest pockets. I do not recall details of his trousers, or whether or not the shirt was tucked in or left out. He advised the 9th Bn so had their "crest patch" on his left shoulder strap (one side only). He also had a bullion badge on beret.

J A

I am with you on point #1 .

I only showed The British Camouflage as it was related to Where Windproof camouflage as used by Amercians came from .

I follow the rules of the fourm as close as I can but on this occasion I felt it was closely related .

I wanted to show a start, middle and end .

As all good yarns should have .

I would love to hear more of your Vietnam camouflage stories .

It is from Guys like you that we can all learn from .

Thanks

owen

Owen,

Your set makes me jelous, true beauties, since I'm almost stopping collecting Tiger Stripe, I wish in the future I could afford a pink set in the Airborne Cut or in ARVN fatigue cut.

Here are 2 headgear I have made in this pattern, both from probably the same guy (because from the same seller).

The bonnie is very salty, made from several parts of the 2nd pattern material.

post-1523-1231972394.jpg

The cap, made in 1st pattern. The former owner must have been Airborne Advisor, because I think it s a favorite camo for the ARVN paratrooper who can afford it (and with french jump jacket), and members from the LLDB

post-1523-1231972463.jpg

Cop

I have over they years had several boonie hats made with the scraps .

Everyone was always the same .

Your example follows this to the letter .

Inside is green and it you put it on your head you would look like a garden Gnome .!!!

Your cap is Fantastic .

What can I say .???

This cap shows why this pattern is so pretty and sought after .

Can we please see the interior ??

owen

Indeed,

This kind of bonnie made with craps is always the same, my VNMC bonnie has exactly the same construction.

here s a pics of the inside, the material seems to be standard ARVN green OG for the bonnie, while the cap s liner is made with some "gauze" like material

post-1523-1231973807.jpg

In reference to CISCO provided items. In August 1966 while operating on Phu Quoc Island we worked with the A Team located next to the airfield. While there, I obtained a set of black pajamas which I brought back in 1967, and it sat in an unopened bag in my footlocker under the house. Nineteen years later while going thru this footlocker I find the pajamas and decide it would go great for an upcoming Halloween party.

I carefully remove the pajamas from the bag and after opening it, a disaster occurred. The shirt just fell apart! All you had to do it touch it and a rip would appear and the tear would continue, and continue……. and continue. Nothing would top the destruction, and soon all that remained was a pile of black thread. The material was not cotton, but a synthetic!

Having talked with others that had these P.J’s, this event occurred many times over. Be happy that the pinks did not destruct in this manner.

Hello all,

sadly i have no examples of the Vietnamese version of the pattern to contribute to the thread.

I have enjoyed the postings showing the evolution of the pattern and the wonderful examples of headgear posted by Copran, especially the fine boonie.

Thanks to all for making this an educational thread.

Dennis, always a pleasure to read of your wartime memories.

Patrick.

Here's some pics I got out of the Green Beret magazine reprints. the top one looks like the 4 pocket style that "someone" claimed was an "advisor cut". By the looks of a few pics posted here, the VN's seemed to wear this style unifom quite a bit. Pictures don't lie.....

post-532-1232081071.jpg

post-532-1232081108.jpg

I think that 4 pockets copy of 1st pattern jungle fatigues was rather used by LLDB (statistically I saw more pictures of LLDB wearing that than Airborne troops, my set has shadowed of jumpwings and LLDB patch), Airborne troops wore rather fatigue cut or the one with big chest pockets like the ones from HORSA and OWEN. But this is not clearly the rule

vintageproductions
Bob,

Is there any chance to have the pics of the uniform you mentionned from the Pres Guard ? 3 years ago, you sold one in your website, I was interested but Daniel was not able to tell me the price at that time because you were away for gunshows.

Copran, Unfortunately, I don't keep photos around. Once a item is sold, the photos are gone. I remember that shirt, Danielle had called me but I had it with me at a show in Tokyo and traded it there for a SEAL Coat. I definately think I was on the winning end of that trade. The collector even said I know this is way in your advantage but he had to have that shirt.

Well this has shaped up into a good windproof thread .

I do know there are members out there who have this pattern in their collections , Andrei, who have not chimed in yet , but I hope they will .

Lets put the negative member on the back burner and Not even let him even bother those who want to learn .

I have one more item to show .

But as my camera is not a 007 device I will have to wait untill next week .

Owen

I have seen period pics of ARVN Leaf camo in the French TAP Mle 1947/53 jacket cut. Would it not stand to reason that the same garment might exist in 'pinks' camo? Has anyone ever seen a picture of this fabled garment?

F

Any thing is possible .

Never say Never

I have a Viet copy of the Lizard 47 -53 set that never existed ...... but it is real ..and I have it .

Windproof I am sure came in everything from Bath robes to Tuxedos

o

Just remembered i had this on the hard drive of a Team 162 member.

An annoyingly small photo, but you can make out the pattern and the zips to the front of the shirt.

Patrick.

post-109-1232666809.jpg