Experimental? 2nd Pattern Poplin ERDL Jacket

FT.Monmouth1943

FT.Monmouth1943

This is the first 2nd pattern ERDL jacket I’ve personally come across. I think one might’ve been posted hear a few years back. Thought it was cool that the lining is OD green. Looks like the waist tabs were originally sewn on much lower (might’ve been a manufacturing error). Is this piece experimental, or just early? Also, the bottom left pocket is only hanging on by the bottom side. Do y’all think it’s worth it to get it stitched back up? If you want to see more photos feel free to ask.

- Jakob

50CCBA5D-F361-4A6B-A37E-BE3259DD3769.jpeg

9199D088-4C5A-4C4E-A283-30B8A04C5EBE.jpeg

AAF78FD2-F5E5-4D5A-B741-4E414DCCC313.jpeg

9BF2B0FB-BD7C-403C-ACE7-1645CBEB4955.jpeg

7AE2E77D-6C0D-4235-9B6E-FEEC526570FC.jpeg

854035A0-805F-4CA6-BF06-17FD0ED75256.jpeg

1B1CFB0B-F17E-4470-B2D6-AF4861B6CACF.jpeg

FT.Monmouth1943

Thanks! Definitly an interesting piece. Now all I need is a 1st pattern one to check off the list!

- Jakob

The colors almost have that invisible pattern hue. This isn't a US made jacket as the size tag had UK and Canada. I have had a shirt with this same tag and it was made differently though slightly.  Great shirt.

FT.Monmouth1943

We’re they made by a contractor overseas? I thought the UK and CAN size was just done on some early jackets. Seen them before on 1st and 2nd pattern jungle jackets.

- Jakob

FT.Monmouth1943

Interesting. Hopefully someone else can chime in. Here’s an example of tags on a 1st pattern and 2nd pattern jacket with the UK and CAN size labels. Both jackets appeared to be standard US made ones.

- Jakob

0E55CB4C-BAC3-42CD-A66C-5B15A86D1852.jpeg

B330A8F5-15D2-46B9-A75B-FC98B06E4BBF.jpeg

Really neat jacket

I don’t think the UK or Can. size indicates foreign manufacture or anything like that. I searched online quick and found M51 field trouser shells with the UK or CAN size as well as a manufacturer on the label. And the manufacturer seems to have been in Massachusetts. NATO size started to to show up on tags not too long after this. I think the UK and Can size is just an early form of the same thing. 

From what I’ve noticed, besides the jungle jackets, the UK and CAN size seems to show up on stuff like outer wear or field jackets. UK and Canada of course have their own standard uniforms but if joint operations were going on and a foreign unit suddenly needed cold weather clothing for example, it often might be easier for the US to just supply it. I think that was the idea. The jungle jackets are similar in the sense they are for a specialized climate, in this case hot climate. At least that’s my guess.

I had a second pattern green jungle jacket with the same labels as shown and when I put it next to a US made one there were some differences.

Beau-Brummel

I think Joe is right about this.  Some Early Brit DPM uniforms had US and Canada sizes on the labels for a short time I believe.

FT.Monmouth1943

Thank you all for the input! That explanation makes a lot of sense.

- Jakob

bravo_2_zero
On 5/8/2020 at 11:00 PM, Beau-Brummel said:

I think Joe is right about this.  Some Early Brit DPM uniforms had US and Canada sizes on the labels for a short time I believe.

All P60 green and DPM were tagged British size 6 for example with Large Long US etc..

s-l1600.jpg