1913 Remington bayonet, scabbard name marked.

I am not up to speed on bayonets but found this one in a bucket. I believe it to be the type for the Eddystone rifle. Details: marked Remington with many over stamps , US, 1913, scabbard has name scratched into it, "Portillo". All info appreciated.image.jpeg.af6557594d338af5a20aa85d8cbf50f5.jpegimage.jpeg.6dc28cde659f4ead97576b6083c907f9.jpegimage.jpeg.79b9bf7992a939c49fc4a439d0a857b6.jpegimage.jpeg.ac534c37b45198f17d79799cbfcc5619.jpegimage.jpeg.cf2ba1130bc3a88b921ecaaadfaaedfe.jpeg

the bayonet was made by Remington for the British Pattern 14 Rifle in .303.  When the US entered the war this rifle with a few modifications became the US model 1917.  I'm guessing that your bayonet was originally manufactured for the British, but taken over by the US before being shipped overseas. I am also guessing that the British marks now xxxed out were by one of their inspectors at the factory.

Right you are, Cunninghams bayonet internet page goes into detail. Officially the M1917 bayonet, the early bayonets were from British stocks- remarked and reworked by Remington, US added twice, British proof overstamped out, date of mod under the 1913 date ( mine" 9 17 "), 17 barely visible. Later US produced bayonets were made by Remington and Winchester and marked as such. He does state the later US made were not thought to have been ever used in WW1 as hundreds of thousands of the British made/ US modified were issued in sufficient quantities for the US M1917 Enfield rifle. The Springfield rifle bayonet did not fit the Enfield, thus they put two grooves in the handle to mark them for Enfield use ( and the trench shotguns).