DRE66

Another “WWII Kabar” . . . sure!

I had no idea what this guy was talking about either.   Looked it up on Wikipedia and did come up with this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Marines

No idea if listing is dumb or realistic, just that there is apparently was some unit called the China Marines.  Would like to hear other thoughts

The China Marines are real; after the end of WW2 in the Pacific we sent them up to Peking and Tientsin (spelling may be different depending upon the atlas and era).  I had a scarf from one, and Eugene Sledge (With the Old Breed, and shown in the mini-series The Pacific) was a China Marine and authored a book on it called, mysteriously enough "China Marine."

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

It’s not the China Marine part of the story, it’s the modern knife in a modified sheath. 

Can someone post a link that works please?

donation2013.gif

1 hour ago, DRE66 said:

It’s not the China Marine part of the story, it’s the modern knife in a modified sheath. 

Ah - thank you for that

That’s the one - thank you. 

Some more pictures that make it clear that the knife was made from the mid-70's to the early 90's when Ka-Bar changed the finish to the present coating instead of parkerizing.

Deep stamps on the blade

painted guard

black spacers on either end of the stacked leather

3/8 pommel with a blind pin attaching it to the tang

Also you can plainly see the fine parallel tool marks on the blade bevels. I can't recall seeing that in the knives made during WW2.  322846060_newkabarmisrepresented.jpg.cd804128f8e9b7c42271f22d0e5ead66.jpg911595825_newkabarmisrepresented2.jpg.d22403026d78ec73c3a4facb1693b58d.jpg59691792_recentkabarmisrepresented.jpg.e0395925bbdcc1d6e01c8b9c47fc197d.jpg

donation2014.gif

Note the alignment of the blade with the leather washer grip, this alignment is characteristic of 1970's and beyond Ka-bar marked knives.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

I let the seller know this and he got back and I hope he updates the listing

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Since the sheath is heavily modified, it could be legit but the knife definitely is a modern production.