What cover for Pelelui ?

BRO&USMC

Hi everyone !

I and friends ar looking to know which side of the helmet cover was worn for the battle of Peleliu? We cannot decide to choose which one was used. It's in view of a reenactement program and we want to be more accurate and of course learn more about this fascinating battle.

Thanks for anwser guys and stay safe !

Al

Blueprint

Yes. Mostly all Marines wore the green side out except for some major battles like Iwo or Tarawa were most Marines can be seen with the beach side out. 

But as most Marines were individuals the wore their cover as they liked. 

Concerning your question for re-enactments, the green side out should work fine. 

I uploaded a good color photo for your interest. 

A0FAC5C3-2CCA-4639-9B10-8438FEB80125.jpeg

15 hours ago, Blueprint said:

Yes. Mostly all Marines wore the green side out except for some major battles like Iwo or Tarawa were most Marines can be seen with the beach side out. 

But as most Marines were individuals the wore their cover as they liked. 

Concerning your question for re-enactments, the green side out should work fine. 

I uploaded a good color photo for your interest. 

A0FAC5C3-2CCA-4639-9B10-8438FEB80125.jpeg

Thank you ! 
I generally know that green cover was used for majority of battles but I had doubt for Peleliu. 

i asked cause’ we want to be more accurate as possible. 

HoovieDude

That photo has been "colorized" from an original black and white, so would not use that as historical evidence.

You have to remember, Peleliu was a lush, green island before the battle.  It was only after the battle was over that virtually all the vegetation had been blown and burned away.  From everything that I have seen and read, the Marines went in "green side" out.

huntssurplus

Just thought I would mention that I believe in the miniseries the Pacific they used beach side out for their Peleliu scenes. (I'm not saying that it should be used as evidence for beachside out) I just thought it was interesting they got that wrong while other minute details like intermixing OD 3 and OD7 gear for later battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa they got right.

Hunt

You are right, they did wear beach side out for Peleliu in "The Pacific".  Now I need to remember where I saw green side out for Peleliu.  I thought it was in some color documentary footage that I saw somewhere.

Sometimes make the difference between green and beach side is easily to do from certain pictures. Sometimes it’s very hard.