How to remove the visor knob - 1950s USN APH-5?!

viking73

Hi Gents,

I need some help this morning.  I can't for the life of me seem to remember how to unscrew and remove the blue visor knob from a 1950s USN APH-5 helmet and it's driving me crazy!  I've done it before (with a smooth sided knob in the pic) and I think it has something to do with the two holes in the round silver cover but I am stumped this morning.  I don't want to beak something - what am I missing?!  The knob in question is below, it's a older stepped model knob but I'm sure they come off the same way?!  Ugh...

Frustrated in Texas - 

-Derek

p.s. - I haven't posted this helmet and mask here before.  I bought it with a named grouping.  I'll be sure to post some photos of it here once some kind soul reminds me how to remove this visor knob!  I need to do it since it's not attached to the visor and I want to reattach it.  TIA!

IMG_5662-CC.jpg

IMG_6435-crop22.jpg

Derek,..I think that's a left hand thread like the normal screw locks.

Hopefully, the previous owner didn't see fit to Loctite it, as I have run across that issue in the past

On second thought you may be able to remove the housing and install the visor with out removing the knob...

Don't I have to push down on the silver button first while turning it?  Or I do just have to put something into one of the two holes and turn it not pushed down?

Derek, I just took mine off and it is regular thread, left to loosen.

I did push it down while turning it and I just used my thumb

Once you get the button off, the rest falls out of the track

sorry bout the mixup, it has been a long time since I tried to remove one. ?

IMG_1550.JPG

Thanks.  This one must have some corrosion because it is not coming off easy at all... ?

I will work at it a bit and get back to you all.  I don't want to rush it or force it and damage the knob as those are sort of hard to find.

-Derek

mohawkALSE

Never noticed a stepped knob like that before, just the smooth ones like shown.  Interesting.   You would think with the 2 holes on the metal disc you'd need a spanner wrench.  Crazy old Navy stuff.

18 minutes ago, mohawkALSE said:

Never noticed a stepped knob like that before, just the smooth ones like shown.  Interesting.   You would think with the 2 holes on the metal disc you'd need a spanner wrench.  Crazy old Navy stuff.

Yes, it's from a old APH-5 (one of the first models?) - one with the leather tabs to secure the oxygen mask.  If I can ever get that knob off, I'd like to post some photos of this named group here...

-Derek

boxerdogi

Normally I use a pair of round nose pliers spread open, and that works great. If it is that tight, you may make out better making a wrench. Those holes are a bit shallow and I'm guessing will bugger up quick. 

Well success today.  I was finally able to unscrew that pesky visor knob with the help of a couple of small drill blanks from my buddy's machine shop :)

I'll post some photos of this interesting, named grouping of flight gear soon.  The former owner flew PV-1 Ventutras with VB-136 in the Aleutian Islands and then F9F-6 Cougars with the reserves in California post-war

-Derek.

IMG_6447-crop.jpg

7 minutes ago, AMT369D said:

looks like the small spring and detent part are missing?

They sure are.  I just discovered this myself :(   I don't think this is an easy part to come by either dang it.  I don't see any for sale on flighthelmet.com.  I wonder if I can find one on eBay.  Crap...

I think I have the detent but the spring will be the holy grail for the project. I'll check my stash.

There are probably a million applications for tiny springs (that could be used) but coming across one is the tricky part.

7 minutes ago, AMT369D said:

I think I have the detent but the spring will be the holy grail for the project. I'll check my stash.

There are probably a million applications for tiny springs (that could be used) but coming across one is the tricky part.

Thank you kind sir!

I think this is what you need, but it's useless without the retainer spring to keep it all together and functioning.

The spring attaches thru the hole (in the photo) and the other end, same into

the hole in the bottom of the the "T" visor attachment part that you have.

I've never tried to rethread the tiny spring for this but it looks like it would take a chap with s jewelers skill

to make it happen. ?

IMG_20200505_182313938.jpg

Oh man...  That's probably what this spring is then.  It was in the box with everything and I didn't know what it was at the time!  Even if I could locate the correct spring (something from an AR-15 lower parts kit comes to mind!), it would be really tricky to try and get it threaded.  I wonder if that would be easier than trying to locate another one of these!

-Derek

IMG_6457-crop.jpg

boxerdogi

Don't give up now!.....you've come too far.  You have the parts...um...just put them together???

quote ;   I wonder if that would be easier than trying to locate another one of these!

I've seen push button locs show up for sale from time to time, but very rarely.

Some of these were 86'd (while still current) for the better designed, screw lock that's still on everything today.

I've replaced a couple of damaged push locks with blue "Sierra Eng" screw locks from the 60s era, which I personally like better.

True, not 100% "as issued" correct, but safe to say 100% valid era upgrade from.....

One thing to note when installing a screw lock as a replacement on an APH-5 (or early HGU-2) housing with chrome metal track rails..

The threaded metal visor "t" retainer piece that runs up and down between the rails, fits almost every housing tight (drag) and

will cause problems especially towards the front of the housing when the visor is pulled down for use. I've corrected this by simply 

removing a thousandth or two (figurative) from each side of the metal "T" with a file. That will ease up on the drag from the tight fit and everything will 

work fine. 

This info is for anyone who might not know, altho Im sure everyone on this thread probably do...

Here are a couple of mods from push button locs to screw locks. 

Neither of the loc "T"s  have been filed to fit on mine and they are too tight to be acceptable for use

beyond where they are shown positioned in the photos.

A couple of many projects, currently on the bench. ?

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

aphhh5.jpg

Replacing the knob with the more common screw lock would be 100% easier.  Heck, I even have a couple of complete blue knob assemblies in my parts drawer left over from an APH-6 restoration...

BUT - I just can't do that with this 1950s, named helmet.  The purist in me just won't allow it. :(  I have posted a request for the part I need on Facebook. 

AMT369D - would you consider selling me the missing piece I need that you posted the photo of?  Perhaps I can locate the spring I need to thread it all back together and make it work.  I have a buddy with a big box of AR-15 springs that I will start looking through.

-Derek

1 hour ago, AMT369D said:

Pm me your address and I'll send it to you for postage reimbursement.

PM sent!