1911 (1918) - can you trace its history?

SammyT

I was very fortunate to have picked up this 1911.   The 1911 has been on my bucket list for years and proved elusive for me to find in the woodwork so to speak.   I purchased this from the family of the veteran who they say was a pilot in WWII.   I have no other history than that except for the s/n which dates production to 1918.     Is there any way to trace the history of this piece based on the s/n?   Did the Army keep any records as to who it was issued to and when?

Also,  I don't fire any of my collectable firearms and have a question on storage.   Is it ok to leave the magazine fully inserted in the gun for storage or should it be partially inserted or left out completely?

Thanks.

Sammy T.

IMG_0746 (1).jpg

IMG_0747 (1).jpg

IMG_0748 (1).jpg

IMG_0749 (1).jpg

No way to check the use of the pistol by the serial number; the Army didn't retain any records by serial number, and the records from unit arm rooms are not retained unless by happenstance.  As for leaving the magazine in the pistol, no problem that I know of.  I store all of my M1911/1911A1s with a magazine in (I have three left, I sold off the rest over the years).

Thanks for the info thorin6, much appreciated.      One other question,   is this finish considered the Black Army finish?

Sammy T.

usmcdoc67

Yes, you can contact Colt. They will do a research on their factory records. Will be able to get manufactured date, info about the gun & to where it was shipped. I have one close to your serial number 247,xxx. It was mfg. Feb. 10, 1918 & shipped to C/O Springfield Armory. Cost is about $100.00.

While it's true that Colt can provide a letter on a M1911, there's not much they can tell you that you can't find out for free.  Since this is an issue weapon the configuration is standard.  About all they can tell you is when and where it was shipped and that information is available in reference books.  If you post your photos on a M1911 forum someone should be able to help you.  I like https://forums.1911forum.com.

Looks like a great pistol!

Thanks iron bender.   I was impressed with the condition as well and super excited to have this in my collection.   I think the main reason for the condition is that (according to the family) the Veteran was a pilot and I would assume that the pistol wasn't removed very often from his holster or saw much use during the war as compared to one used in infantry with constant use and abuse.     I'd love to find out somehow what it's role was in WWI, but not likely that will happen.

Sammy T.

All I can add to what has already been said is that according to the information in Author Chuck Clawson's great reference book, your pistol was one of 1134 shipped on Feb. 19th, 1918 to the Commanding Officer at Springfield Armory.

Great looking pistol!!