CBI Air Medal

Reforger

Wanted to share with you all the only named Air Medal I have. It was awarded to a flight engineer that saw action in the CBI Theater. His obituary states he was an "an Army/Air Corps veteran of World War II and served in the China-Burma-India Theater as a navigator on a C-47 aircraft". However, I found orders that list him as a flight engineer, which is confirmed by the flight engineer badge on his grave. He flew missions with Bond Project Squadron A-5 and the 10th Combat Cargo Squadron, both of the 3rd Combat Cargo Group.

As far as I understand, Air Medals were only engraved during WWII if the recipient was WIA, KIA, MIA or POW. Is that correct? I could not find information that he was WIA, MIA or a POW. The only indication of a possible WIA or MIA status I could find is the fact that he was part of the crew of C-47A-25-DK, #42-93378. This C-47 crashed north of Namtu, Burma on 20 January, 1945. It crashed due to a supply drop parachute that caught on the tail of the plane and was damaged beyond repair. But I don't know if he was even on the plane at the time.

16937644_DSCF7969(Mittel).JPG.eafe8d0d28f0554e0d7c0fd4ae0590e5.JPG

dhcoleterracina

Nice medal.  I would look for a un-named AM that you could switch the ribbon so it would be complete. 

• 2 weeks later...
KASTAUFFER

There were a lot of Air Medals and DFCs issued officially engraved to servicemen who did not receive the decorations while overseas who were not POWs, MIAs or KIA.   They came back home and were sent their medals by the PQMD officially named. I have quite a few documented examples in my collection.

Kurt

doinworkinvans

LOVE the combat cargo groups - world class fellas and ladies.  Beautiful Air Medal - thats for sure

Wow! Thanks for the information and posting those cards! I guess his Flying Cross, possibly named as well, is also out there somewhere.