Hello from new member-need help please

BarbieLea

BarbieLea

Hello,

I have been searching for a family member for awhile now and could really use some help in identifying what military country and branch that he was with. Here is all of the info that I have about him-in1956, he was on the Chaumont Military Base near Paris, France and was possibly assigned to the 48th fighter wing. And here is a picture of him on the base  in his uniform. Any help would be great. And thank you in advance.

28808B18-FCDC-49D8-952D-8C3B6D1CE40D.png

BarbieLea

Here is a colorized photo, but I am not sure if it is true to form. The uniform could actually be brown, navy, etc. IDK. Thank you again.

29685FD3-C43F-4F71-82F0-7E650E909E67.jpeg

Hello Barbielea - Was your Father in the USAF? I believe in 1956 Chaumont was a NATO Base and hosted units from several NATO Countries. I ask because the cap he is wearing in the photo looks like a British Royal Air Force cap. I have read that the white insert in the RAF caps denote troops from the territories (Canada etc) assigned to the RAF.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 I will defer to more knowledgeable folks on this forum. I hope that I have started a conversation that will help you find answers.

BarbieLea

Thank you Moonpie, I had thought the same thing, but I have been unable to find any matching uniform or cap such as his to confirm. Do you have any pictures of these?  It is my cousin's father who thought that he was an American, but from the uniform def not right? We only have his DNA info, this picture and his first name of Darwin (military love story and he was shipped out) Are you thinking maybe Canadian more than British? Thank you so much for your help and your reply. 

You may have better luck on our sister site: worldmilitariaforum.com  as that may be a commonwealth uniform entirely.

Good luck in your quest!

It looks like this person  is sitting on a tank or similar vehicle.  Do you have a more expanded view of this photo?

BarbieLea

Thank you gwb123. I am including all of the pic that I have. Hope it helps.

75C5E446-87FD-4EBA-AA08-F1E8498DF150.jpeg

I know somebody  suggested he was in the RAF, but I am wondering  what that insignia  on his sleeve is. It looks like something the French would wear rather than the UK.

BarbieLea

Thank you and IDK gwb123. I have not been able to find a diamond shaped insignia from anywhere yet. And I have not been able to find his cap with the lighter inset on it either. He has had me befuddled from the beginning. I feel that I could find him if I knew what his military branch was. Sigh. Thank you for your help.