1884 marked Springfield Trapdoor line throwing gun

mdk0911

Now this is cool -

1884 marked Springfield Trapdoor line throwing gun. Used by the Navy for tethering and transfer of supplies, the .45-70 caliber trapdoor has a barrel shortened to 12-1/2" and a can attached to the barrel that holds a spool of line that would be connected to a projectile that would be shot using .45-70 blanks from the smooth bore rifle. These were apparently used up to WWII

img (1).jpg

img (2).jpg

img.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Doctorofwar

The technology of line throwing guns hasn’t changed a whole lot in the past 100 years.  Here is a picture of one still on the market- still .45-70.  And having fired it, it has a heck of a kick, especially with the heavy loads, more than any other line thrower I’ve used.  It comes with an ATF letter stating that it is designated as a line throwing device (with the line canister attached) and therefore not an NFA short barreled shotgun (otherwise it would be with its smooth bore and 14” bbl).

It does still have to be transferred through an FFL for purchase.  

Apparently the Coast Guard was using M1903 Springfield based line guns as of 2018, apparently it replaced the Trapdoor model at the beginning of this topic.  Here is a link with pics/info.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/09/27/coast-guard-line-throwers/

36B712DF-6976-4B6F-82F1-53E07AE2B5E1.jpeg

• 1 year later...
Charlie Flick

Caption for the 2015 photo below:

Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Brandon Kittrell inspects the bolt action and slide catch of an M1903 U.S. Springfield Rifle at the Coast Guard Armory in Port Clinton, Ohio, Feb. 18, 2015. The rifle has been modified to shoot rope to a vessel in distress during an emergency where out boats are unable to get alongside them. (U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 3rd Class Lauren Laughlin)

Line Throwing Gun USCG Coast Guard Armory Port Clinton OH 2-18-15.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I was on a ammo ship the USS Mauna Kea AE-22 we did a lot of unreps was on in from 1983-1984. The gunner mates used the M-14 rifle as the line throwing rifle. The receiving ship always shot the line rifle to the delivery ship so we could tie the messenger line onto it so the receiving ship could pull the high line across. Don't think those older guns were used anymore just museum pieces. Had this rubber projectile it shot out with shot line attach to it looked like orange paracord.

1200px-US_Navy_050611-N-9551Z-041_Midshipman_4th_Class_Charles_Broun_fires_an_M-14_rifle,_attached_with_an_MK-87_line_throwing_kit,_during_a_replenishment_at_sea (1).jpg

Your right a aircraft carrier. I got the photo of the net. I only had a few times that I was not working during a unrep and that was rare were I was able to take a few photo's. When I have time, I will scan them for the computer and post a few here.

• 1 month later...