Sign in to follow this  
5thwingmarty

Small Gold Kinney RMA Wing

I just picked this one up.  It measures 1-7/8" in span.  Stylistically the general feather details are similar to my 1.5" and 3" Kinney pilot wings, but the shoulder feather details and overall profile are completely different.  My only complaint is that whoever assembled this wing made it look like the U and the S are not getting along and wanted to be as far apart as possible on the shield.  The space between them is twice that of the letters on my only two full-size RMA wings.  Maybe after this whole Covid thing goes away they will lessen the space between them.

Marty

Kinney front 120.JPG

Kinney rear 120.JPG

Kinney front left 120.JPG

donation2013.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 1:34 PM, 5thwingmarty said:

I just picked this one up.  It measures 1-7/8" in span.  Stylistically the general feather details are similar to my 1.5" and 3" Kinney pilot wings, but the shoulder feather details and overall profile are completely different.  My only complaint is that whoever assembled this wing made it look like the U and the S are not getting along and wanted to be as far apart as possible on the shield.  The space between them is twice that of the letters on my only two full-size RMA wings.  Maybe after this whole Covid thing goes away they will lessen the space between them.

Marty

Kinney front 120.JPG

Kinney rear 120.JPG

Kinney front left 120.JPG

Very cool. Did you get that from Daniel griffin?

Are you aware of any full size Kinney wings, or just the smaller ones? Where were they made?

I only have a non-hallmarked Kinney pattern full size pilot wing.  I did some checking here on the forum and found a thread where Russ shared images of three other full-size Kinneys, an Airship Pilot, an Aeronaut (balloon pilot with the letters US) and a Naval Aviator.

There may be threads where other full-size Kinneys are shown.  That thread says the thought is that Kinney went out of business in the 1930's and they were located in provenance, RI.  Russ also shared a 1-7/8" wing like mine in that thread.  I think Kinney actually survived much longer as there are items on ebay attributed to Kinney up until the Vietnam conflict.

On 5/2/2020 at 7:49 PM, 5thwingmarty said:

I only have a non-hallmarked Kinney pattern full size pilot wing.  I did some checking here on the forum and found a thread where Russ shared images of three other full-size Kinneys, an Airship Pilot, an Aeronaut (balloon pilot with the letters US) and a Naval Aviator.

There may be threads where other full-size Kinneys are shown.  That thread says the thought is that Kinney went out of business in the 1930's and they were located in provenance, RI.  Russ also shared a 1-7/8" wing like mine in that thread.  I think Kinney actually survived much longer as there are items on ebay attributed to Kinney up until the Vietnam conflict.

Are the full size Kinney wings WW1 or post war?

31 minutes ago, blind pew said:

Are the full size Kinney wings WW1 or post war?

blind pew,

As far as I know, Kinney did not make full-size wing badges during the WW1 period.  If they did, they do not appear to have marked their wares.  It is possible some currently unattributed pattern may have been made by Kinney, but as of yet I know of no evidence supporting that.  

The company clearly made sweetheart badges during (or possibly just after) the WW1 era as evidenced by the diminutive badges with the US on shield.  

Someone else who knows the details of the inter-war period better than I will have to weigh in... I do believe some  of the full size badges by Kinney date to the early "Adams" period (1919-1930s).

Chris

767409605_sigcustom3.png.e95257302e2a500ba241cd8cdc44ff0c.png

I believe the only two full-size Kinney wings that might be considered WWI patterns are the Naval Aviator and the Aeronaut.  All of the others are post WWI types first authorized and specified in 1921.  If Kinney didn't start making full-sized wings until then, I don't know why they would have made Aeronaut wings and not just Balloon Observer wings (without the US).  I am also curious why Kinney did not appear to have made any Airplane Observer wings.