GWOT Army Ranger Uniform Grouping

bryang

A few years ago I made a trip to Fort Benning, GA for the graduation of my nephew from his training as a Cavalry Scout.  I took time to visit the post, as I had been through there several times during the course of my career - Airborne, Pathfinder, and Jumpmaster schools.  While off the base I stopped by a surplus shop next to my hotel, and picked up several modified uniforms - one DCU and three woodland BDU, as well as a DCU cap.  The DCU cap bears Private rank, while two of the BDU tops bear Sergeant stripes.  The cap and two of the BDU tops bear the name of the U.S. Army Ranger who had worn these.

I discovered that these were significant in that they had been worn by Joseph Kapacziewski.  Joe Kapacziewski served in the 3rd Ranger Battalion and made a combat jump into Iraq during the start of the war there.  He was later severely wounded in northern Iraq when an insurgent managed to drop a hand grenade into the Stryker vehicle Kapacziewski was in.  He eventually had his right leg amputated 10 inches below the knee and worked tirelessly to be reinstated to full combat status as an Army Ranger.  He went on to serve multiple combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan, retiring as a First Sergeant.

He wrote a book titled "Back in the Fight," and has been active in wounded Veteran causes.  He is the recipient of three Bronze Star medals for Valor, as well as three Purple Hearts.

I managed to make contact with him on FaceBook, and Told him a bit of my own career, and I explained that I had come across these clothing items from early in his career.  I offered to return them to him should he like to keep them as tokens of his service.  He responded that he was pleased to have had a fellow Veteran keep them.  Very down to earth and a cool guy.

Here are the items of First Sergeant (retired) Joseph Kapacziewski 3rd Ranger Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

7.JPG

Wow, what a fantastic grouping! Glad you were able to save it and keep it together! I’m going to look for that book, I’m sure it’s a great read! 

Thanks for posting this! 

Rick

manayunkman

Good for you Brian, an outstanding group.

How did his stuff end up for sale?

Does he have more?

This man is a true Hero.

He has done far more than the job required and hasn’t stopped.

1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

Good for you Brian, an outstanding group.

How did his stuff end up for sale?

Does he have more?

This man is a true Hero.

He has done far more than the job required and hasn’t stopped.

When I learned that he retired I pulled out the DCU cap from when he was a brand new Private - hadn't yet attended Ranger School - and I contacted him to see if he at least wanted to have that back as a keepsake.  He replied back to me and joked that he had so much junk in his garage that his wife would kill him if he brought anything else into the house!

manayunkman

Who knows what else will break free from that garage pile.

You already have his wife on your side.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Truly inspiring leader and Ranger. Such a tremendous loss and reminder to other war fighters, call for support when you need it. Your brothers and sisters in arms will always be there for you to help you ruck up and make it to your next objective. 

This is a great tribute to the man who as Ranger Cadre and instructor would outrun everyone and finish before others. He deployed a total of 11 times during his career in the military. 

https://www.marshallbahr.com/military/kapaczieski

Sua Sponte 

59808437.jpg.0231448fdb8aeb27a02645c9cea8f39a.jpg

army.mil-54241-2009-10-27-091056.jpg.daf35f1c7cb12db7ff0fbd5cff969840.jpg