WW2 USN Uniforms

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hello,

Can someone point me in the right direction of a definitive guide on WW2 USN uniforms? Dress uniforms specifically, but also work uniforms too if possible. I've done some searching on this forum but haven't really found much.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

Hunt

Justin B.

1941 Uniform Regulations here:

https://media.defense.gov/2018/May/31/2001925044/-1/-1/0/1941-USN-UNIFORMREGS.PDF

There were a lot of changes during the war, but that covers the basics.

I'm not sure what you mean by dress uniforms, but the really formal stuff was suspended for the war. For officers, "service dress" became the dress uniform for the duration. The same for enlisted, but they used the terminology "dress" and "undress" instead of "service dress."

For officer service dress uniforms, they were expanded a little in 1942, adding D and E (I'm doubtful if E was ever really worn).

• Service Dress Blue A: Blues with blue cap.
  • Service Dress Blue B: Blues with white cap.
  • Service Dress Blue C Blue coat with white cap, white trousers, white shoes.
  • Service Dress Blue D Blues with black bow tie for evening dress.
  • Service Dress E: White coat, white cap, blue trousers, black shoes.

In 1943 the officer/CPO working uniform was changed from khaki to gray, as covered in the pinned thread at the top of the forum. Khaki officially entered a phase-out period, but of course that never really happened.

huntssurplus

Thanks a lot Justin B.! That's a very helpful link I'm bookmarking on my computer! When I say "dress uniforms" I was referring to service dress, I just didn't know the correct terminology. What was the difference between the "service dress" and the other formal stuff? Like you said Khakis/Gray's were used as the working uniform for officers, and "service dress" was used as the dress uniform, but is there a more formal uniform then the service dress blues (and whites)?

I've seen mostly the Service Dress Blue coats around, and I was mostly wondering what would have been used as the main dress uniform, which sounds like it was the Service Dress Blues. Im guessing by "service dress" it wasn't reserved for only occasion where wearing a dress uniform is required.

Justin B.
26 minutes ago, huntssurplus said:

What was the difference between the "service dress" and the other formal stuff? Like you said Khakis/Gray's were used as the working uniform for officers, and "service dress" was used as the dress uniform, but is there a more formal uniform then the service dress blues (and whites)?

1414492260_NH77046_2.jpg.0ab3e46c61d9163e1d5e0226e04f6428.jpg

Is that formal enough for you? ;) That was in 1940. Also check out illustration plates 1, 2, 6, 7, 19, 23 and 24 in the regulations. Really that stuff was rarely worn even in peacetime.

Here is a little more discussion about USN service dress etc. in another thread.

huntssurplus

Wow! That's an interesting picture for sure! Thanks for the info though! I'll check out the other discussion too!

Last question: Any idea how much the Service Dress Blues coat is worth? I've seen them relatively cheap too expensive? What's a decent idea on price points

Thanks for everything!
Hunt