“Black Army” 1911’s

BryanJ

Over the years I’ve noticed that 1918 “Black Army” Model 1911’s have not held their value compared to other production years.  I know condition is the primary factor relative to value.  However, below is a 1911 (1918) that I’ve had for several years.  It’s pitted, has obvious holster wear, but in going through Joe Poyer’s 1911/A1 book, every part on the 1911 is correct, down to the code on the magazine.  I can only imagine that some WWI soldier decided that he needed this weapon more than Uncle Sam did, and it probably went home with him in a duffle bag.  If a collector had a correct M1 carbine from WWII, that was similarly worn, but in as-issued condition, that value would probably top $2K.  But, not so with the “Black Army” 1911’s.  Anyone have any thoughts about these often overlooked 1911’s?

AA484542-F02F-4677-96CD-70942871CE47.jpeg.93a893ed407b5f0e36e4d502e07e99af.jpeg

I think the so-called Black Army guns hold their value well if they are in decent condition.  It is the same blued finish as earlier guns but the metal was left very much rougher so the finish tends to be fragile.  It appears that yours has had the U.S. PROPERTY marks filed off which is quite common but hurts the value more than the condition.  It is still a good looking piece.

The “United States Property” stamp is still present, just on the other side of frame above the serial number.  Sure wish it could talk.  Actually, it did speak to me on one occasion, when it said thank-you for rescuing me from that pawn shop.  

380557D6-ECCC-4C9C-893E-F07B8202CFA6.jpeg.e93f0095ee290dfd6986a2f10242ea8e.jpeg

true to say condition id everything and originality. these late war guns did not have the best finishes and a large majority you see have worn finishes. I have seen many like this that have all correct period parts with the proper PH marked barrels but, a poorly cared for bore--- frosted, pitted. if yours is totally correct you have a 1000- to 1200.00 dollar gun. for a gun 100 plus years old that came home with a vet they just weren't cared for.

You have very accurately described the gun, down to the condition of the bore, barrel marking, and value.  Years ago I traded an import marked carbine with an M2 stock, and a couple of old Argentine Mausers for it.  I just couldn’t bare to see it in a pawn shop.  I have no doubt Sergeant York carried it in his epic battle, along with his 1917?.