Knife options

Sheikh Al Stranghi

Sheikh Al Stranghi

Hello. I want to buy a fighting/hunting knife to use for my 1944 ETO US infantry impression, and I would like to hear some suggestions! (may be anything thats correct, including civilian knives.)

Preferably something around $50-60, I don't want to spend $150+ on an original PAL36 or something.

I noticed Ka-Bar's are easy to get, is this an option?

http://cgi.ebay.com/U-S-Army-Authentic-KA-...%3A1|240%3A1318

I do not want to use a M3 knife.

Thanks,

Imme

My recommendation is a Pal 36, if you don't want an M3. That original Pal ought to cost a LOT less than $150, IMHO, like $50-75. The next option would be a repro M3. For $150 I'd be looking for a nicer K Bar than I'd be willing to take to the field at an event. Another option, if you can find one, is a bayonet cut down into a knife configuration. They're not very expensive, usually, but take some more digging to find. Then, just use a bayonet scabbard to store it (NOT an M8 series scabbard - the blade is too thick for them).

I haven't researched it closely, but I'd discourage a K Bar, in whatever configuration, for an ETO impression. Could it have happened? Yeah, maybe. Was it common? No. And my frame of reference on reenacting/LH is to portray what was common, rather than "gee it could have happened this way."

Good luck with your search,

Thrasher

That Pal 34 you found would have been another option I didn't think of yesterday - can't open eBay at work. Agree with somebody else's comment that he'd ask for better pics; however, that's a great example of an item with poor pics where you MIGHT get a gem for a song, based on poor pics. It closed at $34.xx, with some rust on the blade. One never knows...

Sheikh Al Stranghi

Hey; for 30 euros total with shipping included I am willing to take the risk, and it's for use anyway...

I'll post photographs when it arrives. thumbsup.gif

My recommendation is a Pal 36, if you don't want an M3.

I agree, after looking for a nice Pal 36 with the correct scabbard I finally scored one. I think in reenacting they are not used much

(which is cool) and that for the price you cant go wrong. w00t.gif

The PAL RH36 is a very good choice and they are going up in price. Not too long ago you could get a good one for under $50, but no more. It feels great in my hand and it was widely used as a second echelon knife. Another knife you see a lot in ETO photos are "Q" (Quartermaster) knives, either the Cattauragus 225Q, or the Case 337-6"Q. The Catt is usually a lot cheaper. Here is a picture of a GI in the ETO with a Case Q knife.

post-70-1231933080.jpg

• 1 month later...
j.termath1974

I do also use a Pal RH36. By now I got two of them. The first one was like 25 German Marks (like 13 Euros) and the second one was like 25-30 Euro. But it is quite strange when you're asked if you're portraying USMC because of the Ka-Bar! thumbdown.gif

I've found the first one on a flea market and the second on a weapons fair. I think that not too many people know of these knifes being used by the Army, yet.

Regards, Jens

I say go for the RH36. I got one as part of a lot with a canteen and cover for USD$40, then had to spend another $60 to get it repaired (the auctioner didn't disclose that the pommel had separated) and have a new scabbard custom-built for it, but now that it is all done it is a beautiful piece of work.

It's also suitable for multiple impressions, since it was widely used by all of the services.

• 3 weeks later...
sixthofjune44

I like the 225-Q's. I've got four of them now. They're very, very sturdy and robust. You can use the handle for a hammer. The blade works great a prybar too.

Paul