WWI Naval Aviator wings grouping

order_collector

order_collector

Hello everyone,

As part of the group that I bought for one particular award, I've obtained three WWI Naval Aviator wings, one silver, one bronze and one bullion type. The group came with extensive archive and among other things there were three documents: "Dirigible Balloon Pilot" - 10/30/1918, "Spherical Balloon Pilot" - 7/17/1918, both from Aero Club of America and Naval Aviator Certificate - 10/12/1918. All documents are in my opinion in perfect condition and has the recipient's picture in uniform, three different ones. As I've stated before, I only collect awards so most probably in near future I'll decide to part from them. I was told that it is allowed to ask valuation advice here.
Thank you all in advance!

Magennis.jpg

It's a very nice group and a lot of collectors would be happy to get it.  Although most collectors will be concerned that you are splitting apart the group.

Naval Aviator wings, for some reason do not seem to go as high as Army Air Service wings.  I would say as a very rough valuation, approximately $1000 for each of the metal wings (if they are complete with all their original hardware), and roughly $750 for the embroidered wing.  

You are likely to get offers on individual pieces and the lot here, but I think you will maximize your potential return if you keep them together and offer them for auction, with lots of close up photos  of the wings (fronts and backs) and documents (that you choose to sell) on eBay.

Good luck.

Chris

order_collector
14 minutes ago, Owen said:

VERY nice......

Could you post a scan of the wings, front and rear ?

It’s very inconvenient to post one picture per reply, also have to resize the pictures every time via the Internet due to size limitations.

I’ll post, those that I've taken once, for new ones I need to get badges and documents from the storage.

Navy.jpg

It would honestly really be a shame to see this group split up.  If it was just a pile of medals and insignia , attributable to no one, that would be one thing. This group is absolutely beautiful.

Kurt

Lifetime archive of Frank T. Magennis born 1896, graduated 1917, University of Akron. Joined the Navy becoming a Aviator, Dirigible Pilot and Spherical Balloon Pilot. Leaving the Navy in 1919 he Joined Goodyear Tire and Rubber where he remained all his adult working life for 38 years he was associated with Goodyear's overseas operations ultimately becoming President of Goodyear International Corporation in 1957 also sitting on the Board of Directors of the parent company. This archive begins with early Photos Frank Thomas Magennis posing with dog and shotgun, himself being a Civil War Veteran and continues to his grandson Military service, which includes Franks original Aviation Certificates in three disciplines, Aviator, Dirigible , and Spherical balloon, each has a Photograph with a set of his wings which are included as are other Photographs of him in uniform wearing each of the three versions gold wings, silver wings and bullion several buttons, dog tag WWI service medal with certificate, also his service record, from cadet school to resignation, there is also an attempt where he tried to get back into service but was denied as the balloon program was too limited.

mac.JPG

order_collector
10 minutes ago, KASTAUFFER said:

It would honestly really be a shame to see this group split up.  If it was just a pile of medals and insignia , attributable to no one, that would be one thing. This group is absolutely beautiful.

Kurt

Lifetime archive of Frank T. Magennis born 1896, graduated 1917, University of Akron. Joined the Navy becoming a Aviator, Dirigible Pilot and Spherical Balloon Pilot. Leaving the Navy in 1919 he Joined Goodyear Tire and Rubber where he remained all his adult working life for 38 years he was associated with Goodyear's overseas operations ultimately becoming President of Goodyear International Corporation in 1957 also sitting on the Board of Directors of the parent company. This archive begins with early Photos Frank Thomas Magennis posing with dog and shotgun, himself being a Civil War Veteran and continues to his grandson Military service, which includes Franks original Aviation Certificates in three disciplines, Aviator, Dirigible , and Spherical balloon, each has a Photograph with a set of his wings which are included as are other Photographs of him in uniform wearing each of the three versions gold wings, silver wings and bullion several buttons, dog tag WWI service medal with certificate, also his service record, from cadet school to resignation, there is also an attempt where he tried to get back into service but was denied as the balloon program was too limited.

mac.JPG

I totally agree with you on that. All the awards come with award documents. Also there are his birth certificate, school diploma, military pictures and more. All I was interested was his Cuba Orden Of Merito Vial.  I'll keep the awards together despite my wife's threats,  badges for me is something different, but like I said, I'm only thinking of it, checking the ground.

Navy2.jpg

Those are gorgeous wings.  The bullion are a little worse for wear but very, very nice.  The BB&B is top end.  I'm don't recognize the hallmark on the other wing but any wing collector would love to have any of these.  I do agree with the sentiment that it's nice to keep an attributed group like this together.  However if you do decide to break it up you will not have a hard time finding a home for any of those wings.  And you should be able to get a high end price for them as well.  

9 hours ago, bschwartz said:

...don't recognize the hallmark on the other wing but any wing collector would love to have any of these. 

Bob,

That wing is made by Kirchenbauer of Newark NJ.  Very scarce maker.

Chris

656579139_Kirchenbauer-1.jpg.f511b014e0ddffa7a32191772fdd9b46.jpg1863023998_Kirchenbauer-2.jpg.762f495bb3a6646f4678fa2523efea16.jpg

14 hours ago, cwnorma said:

Bob,

That wing is made by Kirchenbauer of Newark NJ.  Very scarce maker.

Chris

Thanks Chris.  Haven't come across that before.

rathbonemuseum.com

Really nice group. If you are going to part it, do as little parting as possible. In other words, if you are after an award, sell the rest as a whole. If you keep the awards then sell all the aviation as a whole. As others said, for a group like this, the preference would be to keep it all together.

Thanks for sharing. Many of the folks here would be interested in buying this group so I can see why they would not want to openly discuss value depending on how you decide to sell.

Cheers,

Tod