WWII DSC Medal -- Co Workers Grandfather

36-tex

A couple months ago a co-worker told me about his grandfather's medals. I had seen a photo of the grandfather on a military Harley taken in North Africa. When the co-worker said one of the medals was a DSC, I was curious to see. Well here it is! I was also able to locate the citation for the medal.

BEAMISH, WARREN W.

Citation:

The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Warren W. Beamish (37086785), Sergeant, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy while serving with the 40th Engineer Combat Battalion, in action against enemy forces on 10 July 1943 in Sicily. A few minutes after landing, Staff Sergeant Beamish then a Sergeant and squad leader, volunteered to accompany an army officer and, under fire from enemy guns, succeeded in moving inland, assaulting a gun position and pill box which was being manned by six Italian soldiers. This action resulted in the capture of the enemy and opened a landing site, specifically nullifying the fire power of the enemy on our assault and landing craft and opened a path for the advancing infantry. Staff Sergeant Beamish and the officer then proceeded up the beach in search of a better landing site and suitable position for erection of panel lights. Upon locating such a site, the officer and Staff Sergeant Beamish proceeded to erect the lights. When the lights were turned on, the staff sergeant and officer continued to advance and captured twenty-five Italian soldiers who were manning 20 millimeter and 50 caliber guns. This action opened the beach for 500 yards, affording the infantry assault waves a clean beach. The aggressiveness of Staff Sergeant Beamish, his complete disregard for personal safety, his coolness and courage under fire and in the face of a numerically superior enemy reflects great credit upon himself and the military service.

Headquarters, Seventh U.S. Army, General Orders No. 3 (January 25, 1944)
Home Town: Saginaw, Michigan

DSC01735.JPG

DSC01736.JPG

DSC01737.JPG

Daytonian777

That is one minty Robbins Co. DSC! It is wonderful that his family still has his medals. Thank you for sharing Sgt. Beamish's example of heroism!

What a great example of a robbins cross. See there still is hidden items out there. Don't these vets and families know that we all want to see this stuff!

BigJohn#3RD
On 4/28/2020 at 5:52 PM, 36-tex said:

Yes he did!

I am glad to here that, so many soldiers who receive such a exemplary award take a fatal hit later on as the campaigns go forward. Is there anything else about he service and there after that your friend would care to share with the folks here? Tell your friend Thank You for allowing you to share his Grandfather's story of service to our nation.

John