War of 1812 Era US Flat Button ?

I found this metal detecting recently.  It is a flat button about the size of quarter.  Wanted to share it here on the site. I think it is US 1st Regiment from the War of 1812 Era.  Any thoughts if it's a scarce one?  

1812 Button Front.jpg

1812 Button Back.jpg

Glad to share it.  It was found at an old Tavern site that is now a farm field, Upstate NY.

WOW, nice find!  I grew up in CT metal detecting colonial house sites in the neighborhood.  The best finds were a pile of early coppers kept by one of the homeowners (a colonial tavern) per agreement.  Never found any military. 

ludwigh1980

Again, what a great find metal detecting. Superb condition for a dug example. I always wanted to do that in upstate New York. I had an apartment at the old Madison Barracks and I was always finding stuff along the beach there. Thank you for sharing. 

These same 1812 era buttons were still in use through the 1820s.  Years ago I borrowed a perfect dug one from Fort Atkinson (ca. 1820-28) and made copies for my 1821 pattern coatee used at Fort Snelling (Minnesota).  With 38 of the buttons on each coatee no wonder some ended up in the ground.  They are one of the most handsome buttons in use by regular army officers prior to the 1830s.

The USI is US Infantry.  A number could be stamped to the left of REGT. at the bottom, but they are frequently found blank.

Stephen

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

Capt.Case

Wow 38 buttons per uniform is a lot!  That is interesting , I better get back to that field.  Thanks for sharing that.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
Capt.Case

Thank you Hutch.  Hope to find more this year.