What are your thoughts on this DSC #7720

usmedalman

I think this is a put-together group at best, with the OLC probably being a fake. Anyone else want to chime in on this potential eBay bad buy? My reasoning is, why isn't the OLC attached? The OLCs I have seen have round wire attachments and the seller had a PH #777 with an exactly matching OLC, again not attached which was sold prior to this being listed. Also, while I no longer have my DSC reference material, I think #7720 would be a WWII issue and hence have the small OLC with it.

DSC1.jpg

DSC2.jpg

Reproduction OLC -7720 was awarded to 2nd Lt Chester H Elmes 114th Infantry from Concord Junction,  Mass. on 10/2/1919

Bill

Bill, thanks. I am surprised that high of a number is WWI. Thanks for confirming the OLC is a fake. I had heard that some of these were made in the 1970s but never have seen one before this.

Dan Byrne sold these years ago - 1980's I think

Elmes was wounded in action severely - You may want to track down his Purple Heart - Nice DSC!!

Bill

The ribbon on that DSC looks like an old replacement, but the brooch is correct. At lease they didnt use a WWI Victory medal brooch.

Kurt

Daytonian777

Just out of curiosity, how much do you guys estimate that this would go for? I know named Great War examples can go for large sums of money. Also that is neat that it is a 29th Division attributed piece. One of my best friend's great uncle ( PFC Edward J De Courcey) was a part of the 29th. He was KIA in 1944 in France.