Gettysburg I.D.Disc

skypilot6670

This Union Shield Disc is in very nice condition, it caught my attention because of the name Weikert being known to me as closely associated with Gettysburg. (The Jacob Weikert Barn and House are famous battlefields hospital) John was a Gettysburg resident  and that is the reason his disc is stamped Gettysburg ,it was  not stamped as a battle honor.At the time of the battle he was near Baltimore guarding Railroads , he was in Co.B 138 Pa. Vol. Inf. His post war house is now a well known battlefield landmark with several monuments on it. The lane that runs past his house is likely the route taken by Vincent’s Brigade on it way to Little Round Top which is quite close. 

IMG_Apr272020at121732PM.jpg

IMG_Apr272020at121822PM.jpg

IMG_Apr272020at121623PM.png

IMG_Apr272020at121557PM.png

skypilot6670

Hey Irish. Good to see a familiar poster. Wanted to try the updated forum. Seems fine to me. I thought this is a cool disc and bet there are Weikerts still in Gettysburg. As always thanks a bunch for your kind comment. Mike 

skypilot6670

Mike and Mike thank you both very much for commenting. Gettysburg is a very special place. I had been doing both annual Civil War Artifact shows but I think they will be postponed. Don’t want to bore the forum but with this quarantine I have a lot of time and enjoy getting reacquainted with these pieces so I’ll post one every couple of days . Thanks again   Mike

skypilot6670

Thanks Frank . The name John Weikert was vaguely familiar to me when I first saw the disc. Then a google search turned up several nice photo essays in the Gettysburg Daily .The history of these Disc is full of life stories and surprises. Thanks again.  Mike