John F.

Unknown US Metal Insignia

Hello, I hope everyone is well during these trying times.  Since I’m stuck in the house (thanks CoV19), I’ve been going through boxes of miscellaneous stuff and rediscovering things that I have bought at shows, flea markets, and estates sales over the years.  While digging through some things, I came across these two items and I was hoping someone can help identify them.

The First item is this MP insignias that I picked up at a show.  What is interesting is that it is uniquely number “7871” and has an “SG”, which I assume means “State Guard”.  Is anyone familiar with State Guard Insignia?  I did a quick search but couldn’t find a State Guard 7871 MP Bn.

7871 SG MP Insignia 1.jpg

ASMIC Member # 4745
OMSA Member # 7947

donation2015.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2013.gif

The next item came from the estate of a widow whose husband served in the US Navy from WWII thru Vietnam. The insignia is made of sterling silver so and I’m not sure if the item is subdued or if  the silver patina has taking over the gilt.  Does anyone know if the US Navy used subdued insignia? I know that US Navy had a grey working uniform for officesr during WWII.  

Navy Medical Dr Corps 1.jpg

Navy Medical Dr Corps 2.jpg

ASMIC Member # 4745
OMSA Member # 7947

2 hours ago, John F. said:

Hello, I hope everyone is well during these trying times.  Since I’m stuck in the house (thanks CoV19), I’ve been going through boxes of miscellaneous stuff and rediscovering things that I have bought at shows, flea markets, and estates sales over the years.  While digging through some things, I came across these two items and I was hoping someone can help identify them.

The First item is this MP insignias that I picked up at a show.  What is interesting is that it is uniquely number “7871” and has an “SG”, which I assume means “State Guard”.  Is anyone familiar with State Guard Insignia?  I did a quick search but couldn’t find a State Guard 7871 MP Bn.

7871 SG MP Insignia 1.jpg

The number / letter designation is very similar to the belt buckles I asked about earlier.  I would suggest these relate to an MP unit that served in Berlin, immediate post WW2.  Also a link to that post.

Kim

Honor_Guard_1_resized.jpg

A member of this fine site since December 16, 2006....Member # 60

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

So I'm thinking 7871 is his unit designation within the 7th Army in Berlin and 'SG' stands for Security Guard? 

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

The second piece is a USN medical corps device worn by officers assigned to USMC units. Such personnel may wear USMC uniforms while on such assignment.

17 hours ago, kfields said:

So I'm thinking 7871 is his unit designation within the 7th Army in Berlin and 'SG' stands for Security Guard? 

Kim, Thanks for the reply.   I bet you are right, that the "SG" probably does stand for "Security Guard" and not State Guard.  I'm not 100% sure of the command relation but I think that US Army Europe may have fallen under the Headquarters of 7th US Army back in the 1950s.  I wonder if the 7871 "H.G" on your belt buckle stands for "Headquarters Guard"?  

ASMIC Member # 4745
OMSA Member # 7947

13 hours ago, jweitkamp said:

The second piece is a USN medical corps device worn by officers assigned to USMC units. Such personnel may wear USMC uniforms while on such assignment.

Thank you for your time and effort.  

ASMIC Member # 4745
OMSA Member # 7947

I have some Korean-era pictures of a couple guys in uniform with "SG" armbands. I wondered what the SG stood for, too. What is the difference between MP, SG, and AP on military police/guard armbands?

donation2018.gif

If you ever want a custom hand-embroidered (no machine) patch, I'm open to commissions! Pay or trade!
For an idea of my military collecting interests and wish list, see my profile page!
Looking for Old-Style US Coast Guard Commendation Medal (w/ or w/o ribbon)!

Oh, tarry and be strong; Tell God in prayer. What is thy hidden grief; Thy secret care.

Yet, if no answer come; Pray on and wait: God's time is always best; Never too late.

Kim, thanks to your belt buckles it provided me a start point (Germany) to help track down more information on the elusive 7871st.  From what I found the 7871st wasn't an Military Police unit but a Training and Education Group at the Kitzingen Training Center.  The 7871st E&T Grp had an MP guard force (company sized element) that was assigned to provide security. 

7871st .jpg

ASMIC Member # 4745
OMSA Member # 7947

JohnF: I'm happy to see that you finally got an identification.  It's an example of how well the the US Militaria Forum works. A bunch of people helped to ID my buckles and I was able to pass on a sliver of that info to you to help you out!

Kim

On 4/28/2020 at 10:41 AM, stratasfan said:

I have some Korean-era pictures of a couple guys in uniform with "SG" armbands. I wondered what the SG stood for, too. What is the difference between MP, SG, and AP on military police/guard armbands?

Maybe the SG armband identifies some one as a Security Guard who isn't Military Police.  

ASMIC Member # 4745
OMSA Member # 7947

Kim,  I like how that works. Little pieces of a puzzle coming together to create the bigger picture. 

Stay well

ASMIC Member # 4745
OMSA Member # 7947