HGU-56/P with face shield

viking73

Hi,

I'm glad the forum is back up now!

I wanted to show you a helmet I picked up this weekend.  I had seen it in an antique store a few days before the shelter in place order was made and all non-essential businesses ordered closed.  Since Governor Abbott was going to allow curbside shopping of retail stores starting on April 24, I had to call the shop to see if this helmet was still there since I didn't buy it when I saw it for some reason...  I called earlier in the week and left a message.  A few days later, I got a call back confirming it was still in the shop if I wanted to purchase it.  I replied yes!  I quick trip on Saturday and the deal was done!

Unfortunately, the seller didn't know any of the history of this helmet.  But looking at the condition, I think it's safe to say this HGU-56/P helmet saw some action...  Onto the photos!

IMG_6406-crop22.jpg

IMG_6407-crop22.jpg

IMG_6410-crop22.jpg

A few more, with the former owner's name visible.  Since he's enlisted, this helmet must have belonged to a gunner or crew chief most likely?

IMG_6408-crop22.jpg

IMG_6411crop22.jpg

IMG_6412-crop22.jpg

majormadmax

Nice catch!  Since you're obviously also in Texas, mind if I ask where you found it?

I have three -56s, one with the Maxillofacial Shield (MFS) installed.  One is a "veteran" sitting between the HGU-26/P and HGU-9/P up top, another was used but doesn't show a lot of wear (that's the one with the MFS on it) and the third was new when I got it (the one with the fake ANVIS-9 NVGs on it).  I am in the middle of replacing the hearing enhancement system on the middle one, for some reason it stopped working by CEP-USA was kind enough to send a replacement.

I have to say the HGU-56/P are my favorite helmets in mo collection.  I do have a lot of documentation for them, such as Helmet System, Aircrew Integrated  HGU-56P (TM 1-1680-377-13&P-1) tech manual; so if there is something you are looking for information-wise feel free to ask.  As you are in the US, I can share it with you.

Collection (web sized).JPG

8 hours  ago, majormadmax said:

Nice catch!  Since you're obviously also in Texas, mind if I ask where you found it?

I have three -56s, one with the Maxillofacial Shield (MFS) installed.  One is a "veteran" sitting between the HGU-26/P and HGU-9/P up top, another was used but doesn't show a lot of wear (that's the one with the MFS on it) and the third was new when I got it (the one with the fake ANVIS-9 NVGs on it).  I am in the middle of replacing the hearing enhancement system on the middle one, for some reason it stopped working by CEP-USA was kind enough to send a replacement.

I have to say the HGU-56/P are my favorite helmets in mo collection.  I do have a lot of documentation for them, such as Helmet System, Aircrew Integrated  HGU-56P (TM 1-1680-377-13&P-1) tech manual; so if there is something you are looking for information-wise feel free to ask.  As you are in the US, I can share it with you.

Collection (web sized).JPG

Did that 56 with the ANVIS come already drilled for a MFS that is has the plugs in the holes for the mounting brackets?   And there was a problem with some of the CEP interfaces at some point.  I saw a Army PS Magazine article I believe it was, about an issue of them cutting out and a replacement program with I think it was directly with Gentex not CEP-USA.

Derek, that helmet only looks a little used!  Cool it has the artwork on the MFS.  Im sick of you Texas folk finding cool stuff in stores!

5 minutes ago, mohawkALSE said:

Derek, that helmet only looks a little used!  Cool it has the artwork on the MFS.  Im sick of you Texas folk finding cool stuff in stores!

Thanks for the kind words T!  My bank account and wife are getting sick of it too hahahahaha!!! :)

majormadmax
3 hours ago, mohawkALSE said:

Did that 56 with the ANVIS come already drilled for a MFS that is has the plugs in the holes for the mounting brackets?   And there was a problem with some of the CEP interfaces at some point.  I saw a Army PS Magazine article I believe it was, about an issue of them cutting out and a replacement program with I think it was directly with Gentex not CEP-USA.

That MFS was originally on the bottom helmet with the fake ANVIS googles on it.  It looked better in person but that is actually a LCAC helmet and a different shade of green than the MFS, so when I got my third one I installed it on it.  As the MFS was new it had those plugs that go in the holes when you remove the brackets.  I had to drill both helmets to install them.

I contacted CEP-USA and they were extremely helpful and sent a replacement unit.  I have been testing to see if I could use some of pieces to get the old system to work, but it appears that the problem is either the battery pack or the microphones that allow you to hear with the helmet on.  Replacing the entire unit requires a little soldering, which I don't have a lot of experience.  I plan to tackle it in the very near future, as the CEPS (hearing enhancement) worked well when I got it a few months back.  It is very similar to the Bose system on DH-132 Combat Vehicle Crewman helmets.

Im sick of you Texas folk finding cool stuff in stores!

??

Ah, so it was with the CEPS,  the issue I read about was with the standard older CEP interface assembly with the single jack.

This is a pic I took recently joking this is my protective posture when going to get gas in my car or go grocery shopping.  The goggles are a little dated for the helmet, they were real AVS-6 V1s minus the intensifier tubes.  Looks better than nothing.  Mask is the M-45 aircrew protective mask, along with the mask mic pigtail adapter.

4556rs.jpg

Wow, what an awesome helmet! Can't say i've seen many untouched HGU-56s, especially ones with face shield markings. Shame it will probably be impossible to track down any service history.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice helmet! I had one with the MSF but sold it about 10 years ago. Still have mine though. I also have a bunch of random spare parts for the HGU-56, mostly visor assembly pieces if anyone needs something.

Kevin

20200522_114213.jpg

majormadmax
On 5/22/2020 at 11:24 AM, manayunkman said:

Very interesting thread.

Nice avatar!  Saw the Manneken-Pis in Brussels when I was at SHAPE (02-05).  You in Belgium?

manayunkman

I lived in Brussels when I was a kid and always went to see it when visiting Grande Place.

Plus it was a big deal to many WWII vets.

Spathologist
On 4/27/2020 at 4:15 PM, mohawkALSE said:

And there was a problem with some of the CEP interfaces at some point.  I saw a Army PS Magazine article I believe it was, about an issue of them cutting out and a replacement program with I think it was directly with Gentex not CEP-USA.

The CEP plug that fit into the socket on the back of the helmet had a problem with some internal flanges getting spread apart from being plugged in and pulled out at an angle, not straight in and out (guilty), and giving a crappy, intermittent audio.  Went through several before I just started squeezing the flanges back together when they spread out.  Eventually the flanges would break from being flexed and I'd have to visit the ALSE shop for replacements.

I still have my SPH-4 and the HGU-56P helmets I used on active duty.

Helmets.png

mohawkALSE
14 hours ago, Varangian said:

I still have my SPH-4 and the HGU-56P helmets I used on active duty.

Whats with the 46 model? haha    Seems out of place with the other 2 ladies

Spathologist
2 minutes ago, mohawkALSE said:

Whats with the 46 model? haha    Seems out of place with the other 2 ladies

After I retired, I was the Chief of Flight Standardization for the Department of State Air Wing.  We flew Huey IIs and CH-46s in Afghanistan.  Still do, I guess.  But I really enjoyed flying the Phrogs. 

• 1 year later...
Kirkus Maximus
On 5/22/2020 at 10:44 AM, swag said:

Nice helmet! I had one with the MSF but sold it about 10 years ago. Still have mine though. I also have a bunch of random spare parts for the HGU-56, mostly visor assembly pieces if anyone needs something.

Kevin

20200522_114213.jpg

Greetings, would you still have any of the parts available still?