Arthur D. Webber, 385th IR, 76th ID. Privately engraved DSC.

kristoffer

Staff Sergeant Arthur D. Webber was born on 11 August 1924 in Cook County, Illinois. During the war he served in the 385th Infantry Regiment of the 76th Infantry Division. The division arrived to the ETO in January 1945. They took part in the assault on the Siegfried line and continued fighting in Germany. On 4 March Sergeant Webber lost his life in combat resulting in a posthumous awarded of the Distinguished Service Cross. 

His citation reads. 

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pride in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross (Posthumously) to Staff Sergeant Arthur D. Webber (ASN: 36739468), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy while serving with the 385th Infantry Regiment, 76th Infantry Division, in action against enemy forces on 4 March 1945, in Germany. On that date, while digging a shelter near Efflinger, Germany, a fragmentation grenade dropped from Sergeant Webber's pocket and became ignited. Fearlessly picking up the grenade, he shouted a warning to his comrades, and realizing that to throw it in any direction would cause casualties, clasped it to his chest and attempted to run as far as possible from the crowded area. The resulting explosion killed him instantly but his intrepid, unselfish action saved the lives of many of his comrades. Sergeant Webber's gallant heroism and supreme devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service.

I don´t have any other information about him or his service at this moment. The medal itself is privately engraved.

May he rest in peace. 

IMG_20191124_153433_copy_1173x1173.jpg

IMG_20200310_130407_copy_1173x1173.jpg

I appreciate the sentiment of the medal, but it is most definitely unofficial engraving...possibly done to deceive collectors. This engraving style would have never been used by the government at any point in time, even as an official replacement. 

I have to agree. Although it looks hand engraved, that is really machine engraving IMO. I would say that engraving is pretty modern, but it is hard to say for sure....

Hi,

That's really bad news for me. I really thought it was privately done by the family after the war. Would never have thought it was machine engraved. 

I have never thought it was official engraving just something that was done by a local jeweler after the war. 

Dave, perhaps if I had ordered your book a little sooner I would have known better. 

Could any of you tell me how you can see it's machine engraved? I have trouble seeing it. 

Regards Kristoffer

8 minutes ago, kristoffer said:

Hi,

That's really bad news for me. I really thought it was privately done by the family after the war. Would never have thought it was machine engraved. 

I have never thought it was official engraving just something that was done by a local jeweler after the war. 

Dave, perhaps if I had ordered your book a little sooner I would have known better. 

Could any of you tell me how you can see it's machine engraved? I have trouble seeing it. 

Regards Kristoffer

Machine engraving can be determined by the uniformity of the lettering, the engraving cuts, and just by the way it looks.  When you see letters or numbers that all look exactly the same with no deviation, and the engraving cuts are continuous with no hesitation points, its a good chance its machine.

The font on that DSC looks like engraving I have seen used a lot in the 60s-80's for awards and trophies ETC.

A rule of thumb I like to use is that un-official engraving done during WWII or very shortly thereafter, should be hand engraved. I do not buy WWII awarded machine engraved medals with unofficial machine engraving unless there is a lot more stuff with it like original paperwork ETC. A stand alone medal like this is always suspicious. 

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Thanks a lot for the explanation. It's really appreciated and I have learned something new. 

I will try and return the medal.

//Kristoffer 

Another thing to consider is the service number. Why would someone have that privately engraved on their medal? If I were to have a medal engraved, I would put my name and maybe rank or award date on it, but not my service number. Just my opinion.

I still think the DSC engraving is quite modern...but service numbers can definitely be found on legitimate period private engraved medals...

3 hours ago, Kadet said:

I still think the DSC engraving is quite modern...but service numbers can definitely be found on legitimate period private engraved medals...

Good to know. It just seemed odd to me.

• 9 months later...

My grandfather, PFC William Callahan from Woburn MA was a driver in the Service Co. of the 385th. Issues with the medal aside, it's nice to see stories of people who served alongside him.