Sign in to follow this  
tdurbinmas

1936 MARE ISLAND RKF

Some photos of my newest flag, a very rare Mare Island Naval Yard made first pattern RKF. It is large....8' x 18'. Still in great shape for 85 years of age. Multi-piece appliqué and sewn construction. 

This is awesome.

Ronnie

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

This is awesome.

Ronnie

Thanks. It is a very cool flag. 

Now that is truly RARE!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

40 minutes ago, bobgee said:

Now that is truly RARE!

Thanks! It is a very rare flag. According to venerable flag collector Ben K. Weed (OldFlagsWanted) the Mare Island made RKF is one the rarest of all RKF's. I am aware of only one other surviving Mare Island RKF, dated February 1936 and one NY Naval Yard made RKF similar in all respects. I imagine that most of these US made RKF's met unceremonious ends after December 8, 1941! 

Do you have a picture of the entire bunting?

How did the flag attach?

donation2013.gif

2 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Do you have a picture of the entire bunting?

How did the flag attach?

The flag attached by a rope with a brass ring & snap. The rope has been removed from this flag without damaging the canvas header. The impressions of the stitching remain.