OK, what ribbon is this?

emccomas

I am back on the trail of the Lyle E. White Purple Heart. Now that I have confirmation that he did in fact receive a Purple Heart, that got me wondering what other awards he may have received.

The story in the other thread listed the following medals that he had received as of 8/21/1946 (A story in the Daily Press, Newport News, VA). Master Sergeant White retired from the Army on August 31, 1947.

According to the story indicated above, White had been awarded the following medals:

Soldier's Medal

Purple Heart (WWI)

Good Conduct

Philippine Insurrection (I assume this is the Philippines Campaign Medal, based on the photo)

Cuban Pacification

Mexican Campaign (I assume this is the Mexican Border Service Medal, based on the photo)

WWI Victory Medal with 5 campaign stars

German Occupation (WWI)

National Defense (No idea what this is)

Foreign decorations:

French Croix de Guerre

French Order of the Legion of Honor

Belgain Croix de Guerre

Belgain Order of Leopold

The attached picture shows Sgt White from an article about his award of the Soldier's Medal, which was published in the United States Army Recruiting News, dated September 1, 1932. He is shown in this photo with a total of 7 ribbons. The highest positioned medal is obviously the Soldier's Medal. The lowest positioned medal is clearly the WWI Victory Medal with 5 campaign stars.

Since the article is dated 9/1/1932, the Army Good Conduct and the Army German Occupation (WWI) medals had not yet been established, so he is not wearing a ribbon for either of those medals.

Please take a look at this picture, and the original picture of Sgt White and tell me if I have correctly identified his ribbons. One ribbon I have been unable to identify is the center ribbon in the top row of three ribbons. The ribbon between the Purple Heart and the Cuban Pacification.

Also please double check and make sure I have identified the others correctly.

Also, the article says that Sgt White was awarded the "National Defense" medal. Now this is 9/1/1932, so the National Defense Service Medal had not yet been established. I am trying to figure out what the "National Defense" medal actually is. And is it possibly the medal represented by the unidentified ribbon in the photo?

Thanks.

Ed

post-12036-0-55873300-1587505540_thumb.jpg

post-12036-0-46214300-1587505561_thumb.jpeg

post-12036-0-55627100-1587505703_thumb.jpg

Ed,

Just an FYI - White dies not show up in the Philippine, Cuban Pac, Mexico Service, nor Mexican Border Service Medal Rolls.

Bill

The early article seemed to be from the WWII period and this I would guess that the Nation Defense medal referenced is the America Defense Service medal and would not be on that prewar photo. Hope this helps.

Friar

That makes sense. The first article posted was from 1946, and the American Defense Service Medal was available by them. Thanks.

Also, my guess at the mysterious second row middle medal would be the Philippine Campaign medal. It would be the correct order of precedence (i.e. before Cuban Pacification). And other black and white photos of the medal show it where the blue looks lighter than the red. Call of Duty page 283 has a good picture of this inversion phenomena.

Friar

Good point, and thanks for the heads up about Call of Duty. I see what you mean.

Ed,

Just an FYI - White dies not show up in the Philippine, Cuban Pac, Mexico Service, nor Mexican Border Service Medal Rolls.

Bill

Thanks for the info. W all know that is not conclusive, but it is an interesting point.