Unknown Vietnam Era Rigger Made Rucksack

FT.Monmouth1943

FT.Monmouth1943

I picked up this rucksack years ago and still have no idea exactly what it is. All I know is that its probably US, it looks old, and it looks rigger made. The only marking on it is rifle serial number. The pouches on the sides look like they could be for mags. The rucksack also has what appears to be a chest strap, and its got two large hooks on the sides (dont know what they were for). The inside of the ruck and pockets are rubberized, but its deteriorated pretty bad. If anyone knows what this is or has seen one in the past Id be very interested in hearing about it.

- Jakob

post-134998-0-76519000-1587499523.jpegpost-134998-0-00731400-1587499571.jpeg

It is very cool and I think straps with hooks are for parachute operation, to jump without mounting the pack harness.

I have no idea, maybe it's one of the fabled custom packs made for Son Tay raid. On one of the pics I saw one of the member wearing a pack that has shoulder straps made of that kind of webbing. I know, it's not much of a suggestion, but if it's a one-off its history may be lost.

A very cool pack nonetheless, even without provenance.

FT.Monmouth1943

Thanks, it's an interesting one for sure. That would make sense if the starps were for jump operations. I wonder if it was meant to hook onto a STABO harness; it has the same hooks. Do you have a photo of the Son Tay Raider with the similar looking shoulder straps or know where I can locate it? I'd love to be able to compare it with this.

- Jakob

That is an Air Force ML-3 Long Range Survival Kit Container.  They were not a rigger made item. There was a small label on the side of the later ones.  That bag was also used for the SAC E-1 kit in the early 1950's.  Look at the snaps and see if there is a date on them.  It is hard to tell shades of sage green and OD Green from photos.  If there is no date or makers markings on the snaps, it is possible it is a very early bag.  The Original SAC bags were speced not to have any Manufacturers markings, part numbers, inspectors stamps, or anything like that.  After the components were put in the bag, it was laced shut through the row of grommets on the front and back.  The shoulder straps were also tucked inside the kit.  That is why there is a slot. After landing, the cord was removed and the contained became a backpack. Below is a picture of the label on a '84 dated contract.

DSCN2709.JPG

FT.Monmouth1943

WOW. Never thought I’d get this ID’d. Thank you! I’m pretty sure there’s no labels on the bag, but I’ll double check later today. I think there are some markings on the hooks, so I’ll take a picture of those too.

- Jakob