Information on Wife’s Grandfather

Gator71

I am currently looking for any additional on my wifes grandfather. We were able to find a service card, photographs on Okinawa, Purple Heart, and Japanese good luck flag while moving my father-in-law. The only additional information I have is on his service card-William M. Smith , LT grade and service number 296581. He was a chaplain in the Navy. I would post his card but continue to get the file to big message. My father-in-law does not have any additional information due to his medical condition. What resources are available to obtain detailed information on his service? Would like to follow up with creating a nice display for my wife and brother-in-law.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

I am currently looking for any additional on my wifes grandfather. We were able to find a service card, photographs on Okinawa, Purple Heart, and Japanese good luck flag while moving my father-in-law. The only additional information I have is on his service card-William M. Smith , LT grade and service number 296581. He was a chaplain in the Navy. I would post his card but continue to get the file to big message. My father-in-law does not have any additional information due to his medical condition. What resources are available to obtain detailed information on his service? Would like to follow up with creating a nice display for my wife and brother-in-law.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Our forum has begun a large upgrade today, which is affecting our photo services. They should resolve in the next day or two

Detailed service records can be obtained by submitting a Standard Form 180 (SF-180) to the National Archives (NARA) in Saint Louis. This can take several months, and I image that estimate is extended due to all the COVID-19 stuff going on at the moment.

Wharfmaster

According to the US Naval Reserve Register, April 1st, 1949.

LT, Chaplain USNR

Pay Entry Date: 7-9-43

Date of Rank: LT, 11-1-44

Hope this is helpful.

Wharf

Chaplain School, June 1943.

Naval Training Center, Sampson.

He was on Treasure Island (Naval Training and Distribution Center), 1 June 1944-24 Jan 1945

Then the 36th Naval Construction Battalion, for most of 1945.

Wow, this is really awesome. I appreciate all the information. I will definitely fill out the form for service records. You all have definitely given us a better insight into his service.

Wow, this is really awesome. I appreciate all the information. I will definitely fill out the form for service records. You all have definitely given us a better insight into his service.

Look online for the history of the 36th CB's and you can track his movements through the Pacific to Saipan and Okinawa.