Jump to content
buzzbomb

Possibly the BEST Garand Ever

Recommended Posts

Those two holes on the left side of the stock look like for the attachment plate screw for the grenade launcher site.


In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..





Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, doyler said:

Those two holes on the left side of the stock look like for the attachment plate screw for the grenade launcher site.

Yea that’s right. It also has the gas cylinder high hump lock on it. So sometime just after ww2 it was used for Grenade launching. I installed the early style gas cylinder lock about two years ago. Thinking that was the only non early part fitted. But there’s always more! Sadly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

Yea that’s right. It also has the gas cylinder high hump lock on it. So sometime just after ww2 it was used for Grenade launching. I installed the early style gas cylinder lock about two years ago. Thinking that was the only non early part fitted. But there’s always more! Sadly 

Just part of its history...


In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..





Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears from a distance that your windage knob appears to be a post war knob and I believe your early gas cylinder gas plug/screw is a repro. The center hole appears to be too big to be an original but it is hard to tell from that distance.  Thank you for sharing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ccyooper said:

It appears from a distance that your windage knob appears to be a post war knob and I believe your early gas cylinder gas plug/screw is a repro. The center hole appears to be too big to be an original but it is hard to tell from that distance.  Thank you for sharing. 

I think the windage knob is of the early type. Before the bar type one was introduced. Correct for the period, early 42. Could be wrong but that’s where my research has left me. GC plug screw is of a post war type. For m7a2 launcer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the clarification, from a distance it appears to be one of the repro screws with the enlarged center hole to accept the M5 bayonet. If it is not a poppet valve you could seriously damage the rifle and yourself if launching grenades.  Also to be correct I believe that the grooved rear hand guard clip was being used well into the mid 700k range. Not that it really matters but it appears that yours might be a later type. Again thanks for preserving this great rifle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, buzzbomb said:

I think the windage knob is of the early type. Before the bar type one was introduced. Correct for the period, early 42. Could be wrong but that’s where my research has left me. GC plug screw is of a post war type. For m7a2 launcer 

you are correct for the windage knob with a flush nut - early 1942 then about March/April of 42 -  had the Type 1 lock bar


donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mdk0911 said:

you are correct for the windage knob with a flush nut - early 1942 then about March/April of 42 -  had the Type 1 lock bar

have you ever thought of doing a data sheet for this Garand? then you would know the history - the original parts and then the parts added/changed?

 


donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mdk0911 said:

have you ever thought of doing a data sheet for this Garand? then you would know the history - the original parts and then the parts added/changed?

 

How do you mean? I’m now thinking it’s early and has some early features but has obviously been tootooed with after the war. All of the code numbers are SA correct aswell. Might put the poppet valve gas screw back in this rifle now tho. Would make it more historically correct   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, buzzbomb said:

How do you mean? I’m now thinking it’s early and has some early features but has obviously been tootooed with after the war. All of the code numbers are SA correct aswell. Might put the poppet valve gas screw back in this rifle now tho. Would make it more historically correct   

go to this link and use the PDF version and best way to fill out is to get Scott Duff's book or another book about M1 garands to find out the data on your gun 

https://thegca.org/m1-garand-data-sheet/

I must say that the sanding of the stock in my opinion hurts the value - history is there but the value has decreased 


donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mdk0911 said:

go to this link and use the PDF version and best way to fill out is to get Scott Duff's book or another book about M1 garands to find out the data on your gun 

https://thegca.org/m1-garand-data-sheet/

I must say that the sanding of the stock in my opinion hurts the value - history is there but the value has decreased 

I also agree with this statement from ccyopper

Also to be correct I believe that the grooved rear hand guard clip was being used well into the mid 700k range

 


donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey mate lovely m1. Unfortunately it appears not to be original. 

It lacks the grooved rear Handguard clip among several other early attributes including flush nut sight and arched lower band. The elevation cap should also be checkered!

Lovely nonetheless!

Scott 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, arnhem44mad said:

Hey mate lovely m1. Unfortunately it appears not to be original. 

It lacks the grooved rear Handguard clip among several other early attributes including flush nut sight and arched lower band. The elevation cap should also be checkered!

Lovely nonetheless!

Scott 

Hi mate. Any chance you could post correct pics of the parts you think Should be early. So I can compare to mine. I imagine there is only a tiny handful of stock factory M1s in the world. 
 

Cheers  

matt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm lucky to own one - took me over 3 years to find one

 

M1Garand1243-01.JPG

M1Garand1243-02.JPG

M1Garand1243-25.JPG

M1Garand1243-09.jpg


donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, arnhem44mad said:

Hey mate lovely m1. Unfortunately it appears not to be original. 

It lacks the grooved rear Handguard clip among several other early attributes including flush nut sight and arched lower band. The elevation cap should also be checkered!

Lovely nonetheless!

Hi mate I am unsure of how to post photos. If you search me on Facebook I can help out. 

I live in the UK and collect deactivated m1 Garands that have been deactivated (demillled) prior to 1995.

If you search for the M Garand Collectors UK group on Facebook and ask to join I'll message you some pics!

Sometimes correcting m1s can be mote expensive mate. I have 2 original m1 Rifles and 5 more which I have corrected all pre ww2 and ww2. I even have a British lend lease which was my latest purchase and cannot believe my luck!

Scott 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, arnhem44mad said:

I live in the UK and collect deactivated m1 Garands that have been deactivated (demillled) prior to 1995.

If you search for the M Garand Collectors UK group on Facebook and ask to join I'll message you some pics!

Sometimes correcting m1s can be mote expensive mate. I have 2 original m1 Rifles and 5 more which I have corrected all pre ww2 and ww2. I even have a British lend lease which was my latest purchase and cannot believe my luck!

Scott 

Scott can you put a link to the Face book link here? Can’t find it when I search for it on there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mdk0911 said:

I'm lucky to own one - took me over 3 years to find one

 

M1Garand1243-01.JPG

M1Garand1243-02.JPG

M1Garand1243-25.JPG

M1Garand1243-09.jpg

That's a lovely one mate!

My latest m1 garand related purchase was a relic m1 supposedly found at the Ardennes. However I buy the weapon not the story. A particularly interesting fact about mine is that it is a November 1943 yet still retains some very early manufacturing pieces. It has a Checkered rear sight Elevation Cap, Grooved Lower Band, and possible numbered gas cylidner with cut.

Scott 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, arnhem44mad said:

That's a lovely one mate!

My latest m1 garand related purchase was a relic m1 supposedly found at the Ardennes. However I buy the weapon not the story. A particularly interesting fact about mine is that it is a November 1943 yet still retains some very early manufacturing pieces. It has a Checkered rear sight Elevation Cap, Grooved Lower Band, and possible numbered gas cylidner with cut.

Scott 

Garands are super cool - I don't want to hijack the OP thread so that's all for me  


donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The poppet style gas cylinder lock nut screw is not a giveaway of a rebuild, they were issued with the M7 series grenade launchers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome M1's. Happy to hear you were able to save this one. I've seen pictures of California buybacks or some such and know I saw stock discs of old Mauser's in the pile. Nice to hear some people saving history rather than ignorantly destroying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.