Double named PH

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Some of you might have seen this on Mercari. It was odd enough so I jumped on it. Since I work nights, I'm often cruising the web late at night cause I can't sleep or am trying to main some what of a schedule on my days off. Any-hoo...

Just the PH medallion, no ribbon.

On the back are two nmaes,

(1) On top: FRANK J ZELINSKY

(2) On the bottom; RODRIGUEZ

Any info Zelinsky? I googled and found one obit, 2 tour Army vet Vietnam, but no mention of receiving a PH.

Rodriguez is a pretty common name and it is only a last name.

Was this a mistake from the engraving department?

Looks and feels like a good enamel PH, any way to tell age?

post-9131-0-97591000-1587402199_thumb.jpg

post-9131-0-75458800-1587402210_thumb.jpg

Gerradtgrant

I did see this, thought it to be interesting. Wonder what the story behind it is.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Findagrave memorial. Says he was a Vietnam Vet:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/101360139/frank-j-zelinsky

Frank J. Zelinsky, 64, of Edgemont Avenue, Palmerton died Wednesday evening, November 21, 2012 in his home. Born in Palmerton, he was a son of the late John F. and Nellie T. (Wytychak) Zelinsky. Frank worked in general labor for the former Bethlehem Steel Corp. He was a 1966 graduate of the Palmerton High School. Frank was a US Army Veteran of Vietnam, serving two tours. An avid baseball fan, Frank coached the Bowmanstown Little League for 15 years. He was dedicated to his family, and very interested in his nieces and nephews activities. Frank enjoyed his daily walks around Palmerton. Survivors: Sisters, Barbara A., wife of William Parsons, Nancy J. George, all of Palmerton; nieces, Brenda Tayahla, Sherry Buck, Lisa Leon, Nicole Merkle; nephews, Charles Neff, Chris Neff, Gregg Neff, Frank Zelinsky, Jay Zelinsky, Wm Parsons IV, Ivan A, George; great-nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by sister, Joann M. Neff; and brother, John J. Zelinsky. Services: Graveside services with Military Honors, 10 a.m., Wednesday, Sacred Heart New Cemetery, Stoney Ridge Road, Palmerton with Rev. Dennis R. Schappell officiating. Arrangements, Campton Funeral Home, Palmerton. Online condolences www.schislerfuneralhomes.com. Contributions: Emmanuel UCC Memorial Fund, 519 Hamilton Street, Bowmanstown, PA 18030.

easterneagle87

That's the obit I found. As I said, no mention of a PH. Which is interesting as a lot of obits will say they were wounded if it occured.

manayunkman

This PH could be from the lot sold by the government for scrap.

I posted one with a similar error some years ago.

Palmerton is just down the road from me if you want to send me your email address I could possibly go up and maybe find his grave site and take a picture of his stone for you

My bet is that this is one of the "error" medal pendants that was sold for scrap many years ago. My guess is that the engraver grabbed a scrap pendant and engraved "RODRIGUEZ" on it to see if he could get all of the lettering on the engraving surface at that location of the heart. It appears that he couldn't get it engraved there without falling off the end of the engraving field.

Allan