2nd Lt Loyd L. Anderson, 856th BS 492nd Bomb Group. Air Medal

kristoffer

2nd Lt Lloyd L. Anderson was born 13 January 1919 in Suffolk County, New York.

During the war he flew in a B24 Liberator, the Lynn Bari II. He was part of the 856th BS of the 492nd Bomb Group. The 492nd entered combat on 11 May 1944 and flew many missions in Germany and in France to support the upcoming invasion. The also flew missions on D-Day itself. After only 89 days of combat they had lost 52 aircrafts. The 492nd was stood down and the remaining members were reassigned to other units.

2nd Lt Anderson is reported missing during a night leaflet operation as part of Operation Carpetbagger. The day was 15 August 1944 in the Duerne, Departement du Rhône, Rhône-Alpes, France. He was only 25 years old. It´s not known as to why the crashed but seven men from the crew were reported killed in action.

Today he is buried at the Rhone American Cemetery and Memorial.

Rest in peace

post-2812-0-72295000-1587366681_thumb.jpg

Kristoffer,

This is a beautiful medal and it is nice that you have memorialized him here with the photographs of him and of his grave. I'm sure there is a Purple Heart medal out there somewhere.

Perhaps someday the medals will be reunited.

Allan

Thanks for the comments, I am very happy to be the caretaker of this and keep his memory alive.

That's great Allan. Interesting if I could find out for what actions he got the medal.

By the way is it possible for me to find out all the missions this airplane took part in?

Regards Kristoffer