1st Minnesota Vol. Inf. I.D. Disc. of John Logan

skypilot6670

Ill start this with a brief explanation about Civil Identification devices such as I.D. Disc,corps badges I.D. Rings shield badges etc. At some point in collecting these pieces of history because I was noticing a lot of mistakes in the soldiers name , unit , corps symbol or home or other descriptive info. I counted up all the error pieces in my collection and of the 47 I.D.ed pieces ,12 have descriptive errors. Thats a little better than 25%. The badge in this post is one of those pieces. It belonged to John Logan and is stamped James. Judging from the wear John or James didnt care and probably got a discount. Enlisted on April 29th of 1861 he rose to the rank of corporal. Was disabled with sunstroke and captured on the march to Gettysburg. Was paroled in Aug. of 63 spent the remainder of his service at camp parole in Alexandria Va and was discharged disabled in January of 1864. The march that caused his sunstroke and ultimate disability discharge quite possibly saved his life. The 1st Minnesota has the highest percentage of casualties for any single battle of the Union Army for the entire war at 82%with no prisoners or stragglers. The page below taken from Bruce Cattons Glory Road I feel describes the Gettysburg engagement best.Known as Hancocks shattered Thunderbolt the remnants were engaged the next day in helping to repel Pickets Chargepost-137056-0-14585500-1587320571.jpgpost-137056-0-21407100-1587320585.jpgpost-137056-0-30845300-1587320611.jpg

USCapturephotos

Wow Mike. That unit definitely had some history. Interestingly enough, when reading accounts of my ancestor's regiment (12thNJV) and their march to Gettysburg, there were several mentions of sun stroke and several deaths as a result. One of the trials of the war that many don't realize or think about. Thanks for sharing this wonderful piece!

Paul

skypilot6670

Paul you’re welcome. The march to Gettysburg was brutal. Late June summer heat and corps and division command pushing the men on without mercy . Those soldiers were tuff. Thanks Mike

I haven't seen many of these ID discs to Minnesota veterans...congratulations and thank you for sharing the images and his story!

Mike

M24 Chaffee

Another great badge! A courageous but tragic legacy for the 1st Minnesota. I enjoy reading Bruce Cattons books.

Frank

skypilot6670

Thanks Frank. I’am now listening to “Glory Road “ , Bruce Catton is by far my favorite Civil War author. I was first made aware of him by my mother during the centennial and have enjoyed reading and rereading his books. I find his narrative style the best. Mike