90th Aviation ID Help Needed

vzemke

I recently picked this up and I'm somewhat stumped. 90th Aviation Company patches are relatively common, but an entirely different design.

I believe this is German made from the 1960s. Possibly an earlier design for the 90th before they adopted the Bavarian colors?

Thanks,

Vance

post-781-0-70046200-1587317743_thumb.jpg

lamarhooten

Sport related support group? The white item is a "jock strap" looking thing! For the guys who handed out the towels maybe? I am serious here and hope this helps!

Could be, but I don't think this is a sports patch, despite the jock strap. The jock strap motif has been used by at least a few other Support Helicopter units over the years. It has what looks to be a H-34 helicopter.

Not sure why the photo was sideways, the file was vertical before I posted it.

It's some sort of trickery, happens al the time it seems when a cell phone smart phone is used in posting images, happened to me once when a neighbor took photos of some stuff I wanted posted, all copied sideways. I don't knew the explanation, but I personally find it damn annoying, one has to click on image to see it righted.

The 90th flew in Germany with CH-37s, no CH-34s. Prior to 1961 at Fort Knox they had CH-37s. They were disbanded in 1969 when the first CH-54's of the 295th Avn Co arrived in Germany. It could be the patch was made in Germany and represents a preliminary design. The background design could be something from a unit DI, perhaps a commanding battalion. The green stripe on the tail means something, but I have not seen it before.

IH

I'm pretty confident that the aircraft represents an H-34. Units in Germany in the late 50's and 60' had tail boom stripes. A green stripe on an H-34 might be something that can be tracked down. The basic patch is also likely to be a depiction of a DI which is above company level like a Battalion or Group. There was a 90th Transportation Det (CHFM) attached to the 36th Transportation Company in Hanau Germany in @ 1957.

I just found some photos of the 36th Trans Co in Germany http://www.usarmygermany.com/sont.htm that shows the green stripe on their H-34s. They were under the 54th Trans Battalion.

More complete info here http://www.usarmygermany.com/sont.htm

The info points to Company and Detachment together in Germany. I think your patch is a previously unknown.

IH