help identifying duffel bag

gunner

i was driving down the road a couple weeks ago an i saw olive drab out of the corner of my eye draped over a chain link fence at a yard sale... i immediately pulled over! this is what i found, along with a marine rain coat, but i only had enough money in my pocket for this... all of my last four bucks. thank god i had that.

i dont know much about the bag but i do know a bit about the man. he was in the marines because its written on the bag an tucked away in the side pocket there was the shipping tag from when it was sent home.

any info on this or the marine would be much appreciated. thank for all and any comments!

post-3483-1231743788.jpg

this is on the inside of the bag.... if anyone wants to let me know how to fit these all on one page for next time that would be awesome... let me know if you need any more pics

post-3483-1231744507.jpg

first glance would be it was older since it is made out of cotton duck instead of the newer water resistant nylon, I was told long ago the army switched materials mainly due to the older ones dry rotting in the vietnam climate.

however yours has what looks like a small pocket on the side and an extension, which is still a common modification.

does the stamp say 84?

The shipping tag tells the story. It says REA Express this name was not used until 1959 (the Express was add then) also there is no place to put a ZipCode so it is pre 1963. This would conform with the fact it has a FSN and no DSA Number.

El Bibliotecario

It looks identical to the cotton bag the army issued me in early '71. On that bag the pocket was original, not an add-on. The bag I was issued in 1963 had no such pocket.