PH # 7383, still looking for the recipient

emccomas

HI all;

One of the few medals I kept when I sold off my collection was the Purple Heart #7383.

A quick reminder of the status of this PH.

This Purple Heart is PRIVATELY engraved (and very ornately engraved) to Lyle E. White. I cannot find any information related to a Lyle E. White as a recipient of the Purple Heart.

There was a Lt. Lyle E. White that served in WWI, 132nd Infantry Regiment, 33rd Infantry Division. Sometime after the war Lt. White resigned his commission and enlisted. He became Sergeant Lyle E. White. He started his service in 1917, and retired in 1947. He passed away in the mid 1970s.

First Sergeant Lyle E. White was awarded the Soldier's Medal in 1931 for saving a woman from drowning in 1928. I have his AGO card.

I cannot find anything to indicate that Lyle E. White was awarded the Purple Heart.

Now, we all know that early Purple Heart medals were officially engraved by the government. This medal is privately engraved, AND it appears that the back of the medal was sanded down, probably to remove the name of the officially engraved recipient.

I once tried a long shot...a forum member had PH # 7380 (which is three less than the White PH #), that was associated with AGO card 7414. I wondered if perhaps AGO card #7417 (which is three more than the AGO card for PH # 7380) MIGHT be the AGO card for PH # 7383.

But I could not find any way to get NPRC to search AGO cards based on the AGO card number.

Man, we need those AGO records digitized and searchable by computer.

So, I am still looking for ideas on how to locate the AGO card that corresponds to Purple Heart # 7383. Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

post-12036-0-84101800-1587264933_thumb.jpg

post-12036-0-96489500-1587264950_thumb.jpg

Looks like MSgt Lyle E. White earned a PH as he was wounded by machine gun during the Argonne offensive in WW1. Here is the article I found from 8/21/46 edition of the Daily Press (Newport News, VA):

post-81215-0-83101500-1587335266.png

Emccomas, very interesting medal! Have you requested his file from NPRC? Also, have you requested the PH award for him?

Yes, many times, and all I can get from NPRC is the AGO card for the Soldiers Medal.

Looks like MSgt Lyle E. White earned a PH as he was wounded by machine gun during the Argonne offensive in WW1. Here is the article I found from 8/21/46 edition of the Daily Press (Newport News, VA):

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2020-04-19 at 5.19.15 PM.png

BLESS YOU! I have searched for years for information like this.

It does not yet explain the private engraving of the Purple Heart, but at least it now appears that he earned it honestly.

I now have some more digging to do.