United Daughters of the Confederacy Cross of Military Service List

emccomas

Hi all;

Just wanted to remind everyone that I am still keeping a list of the United Daughters of the Confederacy Cross of Military Service medals by number and recipient.

I continue to update my list as I find new medals that are attributed to a specific recipient.

I would very much appreciate anyone that comes across a UDC Cross of Military Service that is attributed to a recipient to let me know.

You can add a post to this thread (in the sticky section above) entitled "Electronic file for UDC Coss of Military Service (link below) or email me directly at [email protected].

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/203883-electronic-file-for-udc-cross-of-military-service/

I need to know the Conflict the UDC cross is for, the number of the cross, and the name (minimum) and any associated info about the recipient's military unit and / or service. I would also like to know where you found this information.

For Example:

WWI CMS, #7854, recipient Guy Hudson Parr, UDC Cross listed for sale on Ebay on 4/18/20.

And for your general fund of information, I have the following number of recipients in the list (sorted by conflict):

Cross of Military Service count by UDC medal type

Spanish American War - 275

Philippines Insurrection - 62

World War I - 3556

World War I Miniature - 54

World War II - 77

Korean Conflict - 13

Vietnam Conflict - 9

Global War on Terror - 3

National Defense Medal - 6

Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal - 3

And finally, I am always willing to assist if anyone has any questions about UDC Cross of Military Service records, etc. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

I still have the photocopies of the original UDC hand written records of recipients for WWI crosses numbered from 5064 to 8100. I have not found the time to put these entries into my list yet. All other photocopied data for other conflicts has been entered into my list.

My current list has entries from 4-18-2020.

I hope everyone is surviving the pandemic OK.

Thanks for your help, and stay safe.

Ed McComas

Kansas Raider

Here is one that I have. WW 2 CMS, #7074, recipient Floyd Everett Teague or League.Hard to read the fancy writing.. Original numbered box with info. The ribbon has a pin attached to it, looks like a sea horse. I also have a frame with 4 CMS's with a ladder badge given to Wentworth Military Academy in Missouri in 1978 by the Lexington Missouri chapter No. 2049 of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The medals are WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam with a ided Missouri ladder badge. They have not been out of the frame since it was given to the school. Steve

Here is one that I have. WW 2 CMS, #7074, recipient Floyd Everett Teague or League.Hard to read the fancy writing.. Original numbered box with info. The ribbon has a pin attached to it, looks like a sea horse. I also have a frame with 4 CMS's with a ladder badge given to Wentworth Military Academy in Missouri in 1978 by the Lexington Missouri chapter No. 2049 of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The medals are WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam with a ided Missouri ladder badge. They have not been out of the frame since it was given to the school. Steve

Thanks for the info.

I believe your soldier with CMS #7074 is Floyd Everett Teague. I did a Google on him and got lots of info about his service in WWII.

THat is a Seahorse on his ribbon; it denotes Overseas service. He served in Europe in 1944 to 1946

Is there any chance you could take a picture of the framed Wentworth Military Academy CMS and email it to me at [email protected]. That would be very much appreciated.

Kansas Raider

Hi Ed, I tried to down load the pictures but could not due to the forum upgrading the system. I misspoke earlier about there being al ladder badge in the frame it is actually a IDed southern cross to William H Bourne. I am assuming that he was from the 5th Missouri Infantry. The Lexington Chapter has been closed for several years, but they are trying to open it up again. I hve talked to a lady that is going to be over it. She said there are a bunch of the records in the basement of the library in Booneville Missouri. The library is closed due to virus. She said as soon as it opens she will go thru the records to see if there is infoon the medals. I will try again tomorrow to send pictures. Steve

Hi Ed, I tried to down load the pictures but could not due to the forum upgrading the system. I misspoke earlier about there being al ladder badge in the frame it is actually a IDed southern cross to William H Bourne. I am assuming that he was from the 5th Missouri Infantry. The Lexington Chapter has been closed for several years, but they are trying to open it up again. I hve talked to a lady that is going to be over it. She said there are a bunch of the records in the basement of the library in Booneville Missouri. The library is closed due to virus. She said as soon as it opens she will go thru the records to see if there is infoon the medals. I will try again tomorrow to send pictures. Steve

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

need help with this udc medal herbert o teel. these medals came together. any help would be great.  #12385

udc1.jpg

udc2.jpg

udc3.jpg

The Lost Cause

Ed,  Greetings and hoping all is well.  I used to collect UDC crosses and have a reference you might be interested in.   'UDC. NC Div, Recipients of the Military Service Award, 1898-2004,'

It is a list of the CMS awards given by the NC UDC.  80 pages, by name of recipient, award, war, ser. # of CMS, with ancestor info.  I was thinking about taking it to some military shows that I do, but I'd rather see it go to some one like you.  I had it copied from some one who had the original list, but did not want to give it up.  Mike Mankin   [email protected]

Mike;

I would very much like to see your list, and incorporate the info into my list (with credit to you of course).  Can you email it to me at [email protected].  I will also send you an email about this.

Ed McComas

• 1 year later...
albatrosdva

Ed, I've got one.

UDC service cross for WWI #11448 that belonged to Camilla Louise Wills. She served overseas as a nurse in Base Hospital 41, a UVA hospital. It's funny, her Findagrave writeup says she was 88 days overseas and two days short to receive her UDC medal but I assume the 90 days meant total time in service since I have the medal. 

• 7 months later...
Fromthepastcollections

Hey there Ed, hope this is still something you check. I recently acquired a WW2 UDC Numbered 3328. I’m trying to see if this one is traceable to an individual