Vietnam Camo uniform w/patches

beerdragon54

beerdragon54

Not sure what this pattern is called but as I’m digging through a closet I found them. I have several different patterns from this man. Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it s an ARVN ERDL invisible camo pattern, but your set was retailored from the civil hunting set made with surplus fabric (Air Assault Badge was issued after Vietnam war)

Well one of the first things that stuck me was the wear of a Full Color 101 patch on the organizational side, with a Subdued 101 on the Combat side, an indication of the correct way a vet of the 101 would wear his combat patch when serving again the 101 in the post Vietnam era at Campbell, I asked about Rank, if there was Rank one time on it, my initial feeling, would be inclined, to think this might just be a legit uniform, albeit unauthorized to a degree, worn in the 70s, when select Army Divisions and units started to wear camouflage uniforms as a matter of course when in the field, these being the Airborne Rangers, the Green Berets, the 82nd and the 101, these being the ERDLS and the newer design, the RDF Fatigues.

Just how I got them without rank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there indication that there was rank there, pin holes blemishes?

Well one of the first things that stuck me was the wear of a Full Color 101 patch on the organizational side, with a Subdued 101 on the Combat side, an indication of the correct way a vet of the 101 would wear his combat patch when serving again the 101 in the post Vietnam era at Campbell, I asked about Rank, if there was Rank one time on it, my initial feeling, would be inclined, to think this might just be a legit uniform, albeit unauthorized to a degree, worn in the 70s, when select Army Divisions and units started to wear camouflage uniforms as a matter of course when in the field, these being the Airborne Rangers, the Green Berets, the 82nd and the 101, these being the ERDLS and the newer design, the RDF Fatigues.

I was 82nd 1977-80. We had what I think you call the slant pocket ERDL. A pic of my blouse all Rambo'd up. " unauthorized" uniforms did not happen in the 82nd, the only slight exception was our OG's when worn in garrison, some wore heavily starched cotton and others the perm press. Our field uniform, what we called " cammies" (ERDL) and OG's were not permitted to be tailored. The only exception I knew of was our khakis, some had them tailored. Those khakis were sharp, maroon beret, spit polished jump boots, a pleasure to wear. I wonder if/ when they were discontinued.post-180924-0-13437300-1587265896_thumb.jpeg

I was 82nd 1977-80. We had what I think you call the slant pocket ERDL. A pic of my blouse all Rambo'd up. " unauthorized" uniforms did not happen in the 82nd, the only slight exception was our OG's when worn in garrison, some wore heavily starched cotton and others the perm press. Our field uniform, what we called " cammies" (ERDL) and OG's were not permitted to be tailored. The only exception I knew of was our khakis, some had them tailored. Those khakis were sharp, maroon beret, spit polished jump boots, a pleasure to wear. I wonder if/ when they were discontinued.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Here's a USAF Capt attached 82nd Abn Div in 78-79 wearing what are called The Rapid Deployment Force Fatigues, Rip Stop similar to the Vietnam era ERDLS, the most notable difference is the pockets are straight and boxed. While this guy is Air Force, they wore them too, the Army also wore the RDF as well as the Marines in this time period.

post-1761-0-57430100-1507748945.jpg

In the 1st Cav Div TRICAP 72-73 Period some troops wore Cammies of a different type, cut just like the standard 3rd Pattern Cotton Sateen fatiques, uncertain just what units in the Cav wore them and for how long.

post-8029-0-85499800-1446390776.jpg

There was a member who was in the TRICAP Cav back then who posted his ERDL Fatique shirt in a topic, Cav patch, Tapes, and I think a Aircrewman Badge, can't find it for the life of me.

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2020 at 9:13 PM, patches said:

Here's a USAF Capt attached 82nd Abn Div in 78-79 wearing what are called The Rapid Deployment Force Fatigues, Rip Stop similar to the Vietnam era ERDLS, the most notable difference is the pockets are straight and boxed. While this guy is Air Force, they wore them too, the Army also wore the RDF as well as the Marines in this time period.

post-1761-0-57430100-1507748945.jpg

image.png.c0256bb7a330d0fb73caad0a0da6b104.png

On 4/18/2020 at 9:31 PM, patches said:

In the 1st Cav Div TRICAP 72-73 Period some troops wore Cammies of a different type, cut just like the standard 3rd Pattern Cotton Sateen fatiques, uncertain just what units in the Cav wore them and for how long.

post-8029-0-85499800-1446390776.jpg

image.png.e34490807d15fec0aea0b001470322ff.png

Martinjmpr
On 4/18/2020 at 9:35 PM, 917601 said:

Those khakis were sharp, maroon beret, spit polished jump boots, a pleasure to wear. I wonder if/ when they were discontinued.

1980 was when they stopped issuing them.  I was actually halfway through OSUT at Fort Benning in October 1980 when we were informed that even though the class previous to us was issued both the Army Green uniform and the Khaki uniform, we would only get the Army green uniform.  

I believe the khakis were authorized through at least 1981 or even 1982.  I don't know what the wear-out date was but I very rarely saw them after mid 1981.  

4 hours ago, Martinjmpr said:

1980 was when they stopped issuing them.  I was actually halfway through OSUT at Fort Benning in October 1980 when we were informed that even though the class previous to us was issued both the Army Green uniform and the Khaki uniform, we would only get the Army green uniform.  

I believe the khakis were authorized through at least 1981 or even 1982.  I don't know what the wear-out date was but I very rarely saw them after mid 1981.  

The Cut Off Date was sometime in 1985 I think, members atb or B229 know, I can't remember.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm fairly certain (99 %) that the wear out date for the khakis was 30 September 1985 along with the OG 107 and permanent press uniforms.  

On 4/19/2020 at 8:06 AM, patches said:

There was a member who was in the TRICAP Cav back then who posted his ERDL Fatique shirt in a topic, Cav patch, Tapes, and I think a Aircrewman Badge, can't find it for the life of me.

post-165985-0-70075500-1487885308_thumb.jpg