Caterpillar, Fish, and Boot - David C. Besbris

aznation

While doing some research for someone I ran across this article and thought it was very interesting so I tried to gather as much information as I could on this gentleman.

t1.jpg

Placerville Mountain Democrat

Thursday, August 22, 1946

Experiences Of Air Force Captain Will Be Told Rotary

Next Week David C. Besbris, Captain, Air Corps, who was featured in May of last year by "Believe It Or Not" Ripley, will be the speaker at the Placerville Rotary Club Thursday, August 29th. Captain Besbris is at present Assistant Public Relations Officer of the Sacramento Technical Air Service Command at McClellan Field. His first Army service began in November 1941 when he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force. He transferred to the U. S. Army Air Forces in May of 1942. Following his transfer to England as B-17 navigator in June, 1943, Captain Besbris was shot down over England on his second mission. On his twelfth mission he was ditched in the English Channel off the French coast and was in the water thirteen hours before being rescued by a corvette manned by a free-French crew and was the only member of the crew who was not captured. After six weeks in a hospital in England he was sent back to combat. On November 16th he bailed out over Norway on his fifteenth mission, landed in the mountains in the south central part of Norway and was rescued by the Norwegian underground and later escaped to Sweden. It is of these and other experiences that Rotary members will hear at their August 29th meeting.

Posted Today, 12:35 PM

Awesome story.

I wonder if anyone interviewed him and got more details?

I know, right...I don't know if he was interviewed but I bet his story would've made a heck of a good movie script.

• 2 years later...

I may write some more on this topic as I am going trough some papers now. You should be adviced Im not the best writer tough.

It was actually my grand dad and grand uncle among other Norwegians who first helped him on his escape from Norway. So it was my grand father who were among the men who followed him on his first part on skis.