Unknown engraved silver pin, 19th century

Hey there forum members.

I just stumbled across this recently. At first glance I thought it was a Civil War period fireman's badge. The construction is very similar to Civil War engraved id shields. One knowledgeable collector I know said that he wasn't convinced it was for a fire company. The t-bar style pin places it close to the Civil War but he thought the letter font was later 19th century. I assumed it was "American P (insert town name) Fire Department. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Paul

post-100030-0-75436700-1587179334.jpg

Going to be a tough one to pin down. There are hundreds if not at one time thousands of fire department that would have been PFD at the time of production. This piece would date really anytime from the 1860s-1920s, this style of pin was used for a long time and were generally custom made for a member of the FD. Cool pin. Only way to pin it down would be an advanced collector who had it attributed similar to some militria pieces.

Please Remember the Following Service Members who have passed on!

Manley S Webb- 1925-2006 US Navy WW2

James W Boutilier - 1921-1983 US Navy Seabees WW2

Russell W Haight - 1876-1953 Spanish American War, Cuban Pacification, Mexican Border War NYNG

Lt Colonel William H Warren 1921-2014 USAF

Hey "The Mariner". One thing though is the style of attachment pin on the back. This "T-bar style" was usually only used during the Civil War period and a little after as you do see the t-bar on some early GAR veteran pins. Usually it's a dead give away for mid 19th century pieces, both civilian as well as military. That's why I think this fireman's pin must be only from the mid 19th century. Thanks again for your comments!

Paul

I tend to agree with The Mariner that the T-bar style pin had a long range of usage. For instance, the Dewey Medal was created in 1898 and it utilizes a T-bar style pin and open C clasp.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

For civilian pieces that style of pin and construction was used for an extremely long period of time. The civilian market used thing much later than the military market thus the 1920 ish ending date. Jewelers and people who made these simply used what they had or what they knew about at the time. Very hard to pin down the exact period!

Please Remember the Following Service Members who have passed on!

Manley S Webb- 1925-2006 US Navy WW2

James W Boutilier - 1921-1983 US Navy Seabees WW2

Russell W Haight - 1876-1953 Spanish American War, Cuban Pacification, Mexican Border War NYNG

Lt Colonel William H Warren 1921-2014 USAF

I think this is your department. Try contacting them.

The Rough & Ready Fire Company was established on June 30, 1848. The company was originally housed on 3rd street near Mahantongo. The company name was changed to American Rough & Ready in 1851 and then to American Hose Company #2 on May 21, 1866. On March 29, 1869 the building on 3rd Street was sold and the site pictured here was purchased. The cornerstone of the building was laid on September 9, 1876. On January 21, 1960 the company broke ground for the social hall located next to the engine house. This building has served the company and its members well in the years since.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098