Shield Badge of Alonzo Thompson 11th ILL. Vol. Inf.

skypilot6670

He enlisted on Dec. 1, 1861. The 11th was doing various garrison and field duties including skirmishes in Missouri. The thing I think is really neat about the 11th service is , they were with Grant at the reconnaissance to Columbus Ky. (Belmont) witch came very close to being Grants last fight.Grant was the last man to board a ship to recross the Mississippi after first winning a victory and then being routed and forced to withdraw. They were further engaged at Fort Henry ,Fort Donelson ,Shiloh and the Vicksburg Campaign. Then assigned to the 13th Corps they campaigned in Mississippi eventually they were transferred to the 17 Corps and served in Louisiana and Alabama until mustering out on July 14th 1865. Total KIA 149 men a hard fought western unit. post-137056-0-69647300-1587174358.jpg

USCapturephotos

Wow. Another great score Mike. I was able to visit Forts Henry and Donelson, one time back in the early 90's.

Paul

skypilot6670

Thanks Paul. Fort Donelson and Henry are two of the major battlefields my wife and I plan on visiting.

It’s a nice badge ,you don’t see a lot of western theater I.D. devices. Most of the badges I’ve seen involving the western theater were soldiers that transferred there with the 11th or 12th Corps.So this one is fairly rare.

Have a good day. Mike

skypilot6670

Thanks Frank , will be posting more of my shield badges and I.D. Disc. I have an abundance of free time. A lot of these are like meeting old friends I’ve forgotten how much history there is and all they went thru . Thanks again for commenting. Mike