Unknown M1 tac mark and camouflage

Whiskey9iner

Whiskey9iner

Hello forum members.

I recently bought this M1 off of evil-bay. It is a 50s McCord stamped M 310. The chinstrap buckle is anchor stamped, and the chinstrap clips have circle surrounding a dot. The interior is rusty, with the number 360 written.

The liner was a pretty rotten 60s jump liner with female snaps drilled out, 1969 Contract sweatband.

It had pretty faded 70s ERDL cover with 24th ID V marks on both sides. There are matching rust stains from the shell on the cover so it appears they have been together for at least sometime. This leads me to believe that this rig is sometime post 1975. Though it could just an amalgamation of parts improperly stored.

The interesting part is the three-color camouflage scheme. The tan looks like it was spray painted onto the factory OD and the black added with a brush. Additionally, the rear marking is a mystery to me.

I am not sure what to make of it. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.post-264138-0-38479900-1587166926_thumb.jpg

Whiskey9iner

One meaning is infantry

Thank you for the reply! I had that thought as well. I am sure that is it, but strange to mark that on a helmet that is always covered. Maybe someone just got bored.