CMP M1 Garand

ehines42

Good evening I just purchased my first m-1 it's a CMP rifle with a Springfield serial number of 5956276 any idea when this was manufactured? I know it's post war the barrel is dated 10-49. Thraot is at 3 and muzzle is 2 it has a new Walnut stock.

Do not rely on that web site solely as it has inaccuracys

Did you get the correct serial and barrel dte? Reason I ask the receiver would be from 1956 and should have 56 barrel.

Do not rely on that web site solely as it has inaccuracys

Did you get the correct serial and barrel dte? Reason I ask the receiver would be from 1956 and should have 56 barrel.

Anything is possible. The rifle may have been rebarreled at one time or its possible this barrel was never used and was in the warehouse. I have two M1's one has been reworked with a later barrel and my second one has maybe its original as the dates are very close.

Just something about re-barreling. I was reading an article that talked about M1 Garands at the training centers, and one Sargent said they changed out the barrels on them every 16 weeks or so (two basic training rotations at the time). The main problem was not the ammunition, but the Drill Sargent's insistence on the recruits cleaning the weapon every chance they had, as well as using weapons cleaning as a form of punishment for minor infractions. So it's possible for any M1 Garand coming through the DCM/CMP to have had multiple barrels.

Yes its very, very possible to be rebarreled, just very unusual to have a 1949 barrel. Normally would have a 52,53 replacement barrel.

Had a old boy here that use to go to Camp Perry a lot.He would buy M1 Rifles from shows etc..said he would get them rebarreled at the Camp Perry matches... basically got them tuned up. What date barrels would they have?

Good evening I just purchased my first m-1 it's a CMP rifle with a Springfield serial number of 5956276 any idea when this was manufactured? I know it's post war the barrel is dated 10-49. Thraot is at 3 and muzzle is 2 it has a new Walnut stock.

From what I understand most CMP rifles will have a mix of parts. So I didn't think a '49 barrel is too unusual with a '56 receiver heck the fire control group dates to 1944 and the bolt 1943

Can you take any pics of the barrel markings? That would open up much more discussion. Way back when the South store had racks of Garands for the choosing, ( original stocks, Winchester receivers, etc) I picked out a Jan/ Feb 1945 WW2 Springfield, never bothered to look at this barrel markings. I was surprised to find the Danish Crown, turns out the Danish returns are noted for accuracy. It is my finest shooter, 1.5" grouping @ 100 yds ( with occasional flyer) with my hand loads. My other last run 1950's ( forgot manufacture) gets 3"- on a good day (with my hand loads.)

Man that brings back memories, Danish returns. I used to handpick through the "Woodless Danes" These were Danish returns with no stocks or hand guards. These were all WWII rifles, many still had their early original parts. Was nothing to find original WWII barrels and lock bar sights etc. Some did have replaced Danish VAR barrels . I have one with VAR barrel and its one of my best shooters