USMA 1929 Picture - What badge is he wearing?

stratasfan

Don't know where to post USMA stuff, so if there is a board, feel free to move this!

Here is a picture of a young man who was in the West Point Class of 1926. Anyone know what badge he is wearing?

Here is a bit of bio on him, if that helps:

The 1933 West Point USMA report ran the following bio (and a great photo) on Page 259-61.

Harlie Heston Parks was born at Lexington, Ohio, July 29, 1900, the son of George W. Parks and Hattie L. Wirick, both of German-English descent.

Lieut. Parks' early training was received in the local schools of Morrow County. He spent two years in the Galion High School to complete his high school course, graduating with the class of 1918, as class artist. He entered the Ohio Wesleyan University in September of the same year, and on June 2nd of the following year became a member of the Reserve Officers' Training corps at Delaware, Ohio. His term of enlistment expired January 20, 1921, but he expressed the desire to reenlist, in order to get the assignment to the Preparatory School at Camp Grant, Illinois, for West Point and College. It was at Camp Grant that he gained, through competitive examinations, the appointment to the U.S. Military Academy. He entered the Military Academy as a cadet on July 1, 1922, and was graduated and promoted in the Army to Second Lieutenant in the Field Artillery, June 12, 1926. On November 1, 1931, he received the promotion to the First Lieutenantcy.

[The article here contains a detailed listing of his military record.]

At the time of his death he was assigned to the 1st Field Artillery, Fort Sill, Okla. While at Fort Sill, he graduated from the Field Artillery School, battery Officers' Course.

As a student, he was a steady, conscientious, and diligent worker at any and all tasks he undertook. He was ever ready to help others, giving freely of his time and personal possessions. His record in academics was high and his military efficiency was excellent. He was strictly honest in practice, thought, and judgment. If "Tony" held an opinion on any matter, one could be sure that it was honest and sincere, and that it was his own. The following quotation was taken from a letter sent to Lt. Parks' father, from the Chief of Staff of the War Department, Washington, D.C.: "The records show that Lieutenant Parks was a promising young officer, capable, painstaking, and of quiet and unassuming manner, who invariably performed the duties assigned him with characteristic efficiency and diligence. His death is deeply regretted by his former associates."

He is survived by his father, of Cleveland, O., one sister Mrs. Mamie K. McCune, of Crestline, O., and two brothers Flavius J., of Cleveland, Ohio, and Foye E., of Lima, Ohio.

He was laid to rest in the Shauck's [sic] Cemetery, at Lexington [sic], Ohio, beside his kindly and religious mother, of whom he often spoke with most endearing words.

The article ends with a poem written by his sister and brothers:
His was a life of achievement, lofty and noble of purpose,
Beautiful to behold, an inspiration to many.
Loudly the Reaper called, in the glorious prime of his manhood;
Silently heeding the call, he obeyed the command of his Maker.
We who remain are consoled that God, in His infinite wisdom,
Makes room for such as he and uses them to our advantage.

post-151812-0-72608700-1587138922_thumb.jpg

Looks like the shape of a cross with an eagle w/ turned down wings on it.....Military academy or NY state medal perhaps?.....Bodes

Are cadets authorized to wear that badge?

If they have qualified on the range, I think they are. Same with cadets who go to airborne school wearing their jump wings.

I wondered if it could be a Marksmanship badge, but didn't know if they got those at the USMA. Wish I had another picture of him! Maybe I can find some other info, I'll take a look!

Yes, Army marksmanship badges to cadets who qualify. That sure looks like a Marksman level badge to me.

The medal in the photo is not symmetrical....Looks to be taller height wise in comparison to it's width....A marksman badge is square....There also looks to me what appears to be two vertical lines on the lower leg of the cross....On my screen, they look like legs of an eagle...Bodes