Sign in to follow this  
rufus_firefly

Help ID: 73rd Coast Artillery

Need the identity

Thanks

post-9608-0-02333300-1587062074_thumb.jpeg

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

I'm looking and looking. So far, it bears a strong similarity to the 382nd FA, but that only has red. I'm still looking! Are you thinking this is WWII era?

donation2018.gif

If you ever want a custom hand-embroidered (no machine) patch, I'm open to commissions! Pay or trade!
For an idea of my military collecting interests and wish list, see my profile page!
Looking for Old-Style US Coast Guard Commendation Medal (w/ or w/o ribbon)!

Oh, tarry and be strong; Tell God in prayer. What is thy hidden grief; Thy secret care.

Yet, if no answer come; Pray on and wait: God's time is always best; Never too late.

Well, I haven't found the design yet, but it looks like a Meyer piece. The way of the red enamel is very similar to other Meyer DUI I'm seeing.

donation2018.gif

If you ever want a custom hand-embroidered (no machine) patch, I'm open to commissions! Pay or trade!
For an idea of my military collecting interests and wish list, see my profile page!

Oh, tarry and be strong; Tell God in prayer. What is thy hidden grief; Thy secret care.

Yet, if no answer come; Pray on and wait: God's time is always best; Never too late.

I've plowed through over 2,000 photos of DUIs, but so far haven't seen any that are this design!

donation2018.gif

The 136th MEB uses the same insignia with a green bolt. Since they are not a WWII unit, this has to be whatever their predecessor was. Texas Guard based unit.

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

73rd Coast Artillery..

Source: ASMIC Artillery Catalog September 1979.. Page 70..

"On a shield divided per bend dark blue and red a gold pile bendwise charged with a red lighting flash"..

Leigh

"Pain is only Weakness Leaving the Body"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr
US Army (Retired)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Thanks everyone. 73rd CA

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Aaaahhhhhh . . . that's it! Funny how it is so easy to find when you know what to look for:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/73rd-Coast-Artillery-Battalion-Crest-DI-DUI-Pinback/303536952932?hash=item46ac365664:g:Zc4AAOSwp2hejPUK

donation2018.gif

Yep, 73rd Coast Artillery Regiment. This unit history comes from the Coast Defense Journal, May 2009 issue:

73rd Coast Artillery (AA) Regiment

Constituted inactive in the RA 10-26-39 and allotted to the Panama Department. Activated at Fort Amador 11-1-39 with 425 men from 61st and 63rd CA (AA) Regiments, the AA elements of the 4th CA (Harbor Defense/AA) Regiment, and about 1,000 recruits. Initially composed of HHB, HHB 2nd Battalion, and firing Batteries A, D, E, G, I, K, L, N, O, Q, S, & T. Elements were deployed to Forts Kobbe and Amador and other locations in the Pacific Sector, with three batteries assigned to the Post of Corozal, while Battery O was posted at Rio Hato Field. Service Battery activated 3-9-40. HHB 3rd Battalion activated at the Post of Corozal 3-11-40. Battery R activated at Post of Corozal 5-1-40. Battery F activated at Fort Amador, Battery H at Fort Amador, and Battery U at Post of Corozal 10-7-40. Battery P activated 12-6-40. On 12-4-40 Batteries A, B, C, D, L, & N inactivated and personnel activated corresponding batteries of the 83rd CA (AA) Regiment. HHB 1st Battalion activated at Rio Hato, Panama, 1-24-41, Battery M at Fort Amador 11-3-41. The 73rd CA was reorganized 8-8-42 and continued to serve in the Pacific Sector until 9-15-43, when inactivated at Fort Clayton, less 2nd Battalion HHB and Batteries F & H that were returned to CONUS through New Orleans 10-5-43. Transferred to Fort Bliss, TX, arriving 10-6-43 and inactivated 12-10-43, personnel reassigned to various AAA organizations. The 73rd CA (AA) Regiment disbanded 12-10-43.

Looking for items related to the Ninth Coast Artillery District and 6th Coast Artillery Regment